Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JesusRCh

Analog Card 1769-OF2/B Revision Upgrade

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, We sent our plc out of the company to be updated by the integrator. Now the analog card has a warning symbol, the guy said that in order to test the plc he built a rack at his shop to copy the one we have and he used an analog card with revision 3.1. He said that the original program shows 3.001. He recommends to update the card to 3.1. Could anyone tell me how to do this? I tried using the controlFLASH but I'm not sure if that is only to upgrade the plc. I wanted to try replacing the EDS e but when I right click the module in RsLinx i don't see the option to do it. I'm a little lost, lol. 

It would be helpful if you could supply the model number of the analog card.

A 1769-ECR is a "Right End Cap" and provides termination of the 1769 bus.  Wasn't aware of it having and revisions or "brains" other than a terminating resistor.

Hi Folks: I have this error  'Electronic Key Mismatching: Major and/or minor revision invalid or incorrect' apparently the reason is that the version of the card is different than the one it is configured in the project. How can I fix that?

Edited by JesusRCh

Please take care with the forum threads you are posting to;  I'm posting to the first thread to keep it as clear as possible.

In general, 1769 series modules are not field upgradeable, with ControlFlash or any other tool.

So because your program has been modified to use a different firmware revision, you need to modify the program to use the correct module, or disable the firmware revision checking.

In Studio 5000, this can be done in offline in the Module Definition section of the module configuration applet in the I/O tree.    You can change the Major Revision and Minor Revision to match the actual module, or set the Electronic Keying to "disabled" instead of "Exact Match" or "Compatible Module".

1 person likes this

Ken posted while I was on the Download site looking for the firmware. All they have listed are the AOP and EDS files. Interestingly, I selected "show all versions" and all it shows is series B, v3.001. I can add other versions to a CompactLogix project. Honestly, I would think 3.1 and 3.001 were the same thing since adding it to a project starts the minor version at 001 and goes up to 015. I'd go online with the PLC, select the module in the I/O Configuration, and look at the message down below to see what's actually going on. It should tell you if it's not responding at all or if there's a mismatch or something.

Your Logix controller is looking at five different things to make sure I/O can is compatible for use: vendor, product type, product code, major firmware, and minor firmware. There is what's stored in the Logix profile, and there's what's actually on the I/O card. Electronic keying is making the comparison to see if the physical I/O card "fits" into the stored profile. 

There are three possible configurations for electronic keying:

1. Exact Match - All five categories must match exactly.
  2. Compatible Match - First three categories match but whatever firmware is in the physical I/O card must be the same or higher as the firmware stored in the ControlLogix profile.
  3. Disabled - doesn't matter what type of card it is or what firmware, Logix will try to use it. (Never do this).

So if it's telling you that your problem is firmware revision, you're either set to exact match and they don't, or you're set for compatible match and the physical card has a lower firmware than the Logix profile. If you're set for exact and the process (including safety and company policies) allow for it, change it to compatible. Otherwise you may have to flash the card to the desired, matching firmware revision. 

15 hours ago, Ken Roach said:

Please take care with the forum threads you are posting to;  I'm posting to the first thread to keep it as clear as possible.

Good Advice Ken Roach !

And to make things easier, I've used some Moderator-Foo and merged the two topics all into this earliest one.

Hi Guys thanks for your helpful responses, Ken, Thanks for the feedback. What exactly do you mean with taking care with the forum threads, I would like to clarify this for my future posts.

Joe, I saw exactly what you said about the AOP and EDS files. Now my question is if those files are to updating the actual card? What would be the process to do it?

On the other hand, I ended up changing the revision to 2.1 in RSLogix 5000 and that worked. The warning symbol went away and everything is working.

Ken, never mind. Now I see what you are saying. I apologize. Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it

29 minutes ago, JesusRCh said:

Joe, I saw exactly what you said about the AOP and EDS files. Now my question is if those files are to updating the actual card? What would be the process to do it?

On the other hand, I ended up changing the revision to 2.1 in RSLogix 5000 and that worked. The warning symbol went away and everything is working.

Short version of my understanding of it: the AOP is used to add the module into a Logix project while the EDS lets Linx know what it is and talk to it. Neither is the firmware file. If your version of Logix is "newer" than the module, the AOP should already be installed and if RSLinx is newer, same for the EDS. I've only had to manually download/install those when I'm using a 3rd party module or if I'm using an older version of Linx/Logix (and even installing the AOP/EDS doesn't work 100% of the time...).

I was surprised that there was only that firmware version listed on Rockwell's download center and that they didn't have a download for the firmware at all but only the AOP and EDS. That's very unusual in my experience. It may be that this is the earliest (and only?) firmware version of series B so far. The fact that changing the project to compatible keying and v2.1 fixed the issue points to a firmware conflict, but I'm not sure how the integrator managed to get a newer firmware version module in there.

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Joe E. said:

Short version of my understanding of it: the AOP is used to add the module into a Logix project while the EDS lets Linx know what it is and talk to it. Neither is the firmware file. If your version of Logix is "newer" than the module, the AOP should already be installed and if RSLinx is newer, same for the EDS. I've only had to manually download/install those when I'm using a 3rd party module or if I'm using an older version of Linx/Logix (and even installing the AOP/EDS doesn't work 100% of the time...).

I was surprised that there was only that firmware version listed on Rockwell's download center and that they didn't have a download for the firmware at all but only the AOP and EDS. That's very unusual in my experience. It may be that this is the earliest (and only?) firmware version of series B so far. The fact that changing the project to compatible keying and v2.1 fixed the issue points to a firmware conflict, but I'm not sure how the integrator managed to get a newer firmware version module in there.

Thank you so much for sharing the information of AOP and EDS files. I was surprised too and honestly confused me a little bit. I wonder how the integrator did that also.

Definitely weird how they managed to get a module that has a newer version than is available on Rockwell's website...