RobinEriksen

Auto assign IP PowerFlex 525

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am trying to auto assign an IP to a PowerFlex 525 with a Stratix 2500 switch. I have been able to assign IP to other components such as another computer for example, but not the powerflex.

Is there a parameter I need to activate to be able to do this? I have tried to set C 128 to 1 and 2 but no difference. 

Is this possible to do with every 525 or do I need a special device to be able to do this?

Are you using the embedded Ethernet Adapter? Or a COMM adapter?

If using a BootP server, you need to have C-128 set to a 2. Remember to power cycle after you change the parameter.

The Built-in port on the Powerflex 525 does not work with Statix2500.

As far as the "special device" to do it, have a look at the PLC Tools SIM-IPE IP Explorer. https://www.theautomationstore.com/plc-tools-sim-ipe-ethernet-ip-address-explorer-dhcp-and-bootp-server/

Here are some application examples of it being used on a Powerflex 525.  https://www.theautomationstore.com/plc-tools-sim-ipe-reading-and-writing-an-ip-address-to-an-allen-bradley-powerflex-drive/

Sorry but I do not know what a embedded ethernet adapter or a comm adapter is. 

So if I have understood you guys correctly, I cannot use a Stratix 2500 to assign an IP to a PowerFlex 525?

Under the front cover of the PowerFlex 525 drive there are two female RJ45 fixtures. The one on the right is the embedded DSI port; the one on the left is the embedded EtherNet port. This would be the "embedded Ethernet Adapter" Armadillo852 mentioned.

The drive also supports add-on cards for the following communication formats:

• Dual-port EtherNet
  • DeviceNet
  • Profibus

If you have one of these add-on communication cards installed, this would be the "COMM adapter" Armadillo852 mentioned. 

Thank you for explaining. In that case, I am using the embedded Ethernet adapter. 

I wouldn't depend on a dhcp reservation to assign an IP to a vfd.

The stratix 2500 supports dhcp persistence so yes you can auto assign an IP address