Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobodopalus

NB designer "layering" screens

11 posts in this topic

is there a way of stacking screens in NB designer? ive asked question similar in the cx programmer forum but it might be better asked here.

for instance if i have a program that displays an error screen when lets say the motor is overloaded but then the air pressure is also  cut off so that screen then pops up, we currently have a system that states when there are no errors to display the main screen with a DIFU command. however this system doesnt work very well if multiple problems occur it will only display the most recent one and when that is fixed the screen will not change.

is there a way to make screens "overlap" and be able to close them individually or just any methods you have used that might be better at controlling the screen for this sort of application?

thanks anyone who can help

Yes, create pop up screens.  Right click on the screen and choose properties.  The size and position are shown and can be changed and the pop up properties can be chosen in the bottom right corner of this window also.  Use the Function Key, then Switch Screens:  Pop up and point it at the screen.  <-For testing.  You can have other functions like errors call the screen also.

i did notice the function key for this purpose but i want it to also auto close itself when the error is no longer present, i couldnt find a way of plc controlling the function key

Ok, here is a suggestion.  A colleague of mine just pointed it out.  

On the screen that you want the pop up to happen,  you can add an Indirect Screen.  It will allow you to specify an address in the PLC.  If you put a 10 in this address, Frame 10 will show up in the window that you specify when you add the Indirect Screen object.  Putting a 0 in this register will make the screen disappear.

thats almost perfect, unfortunatly i need this pop up to be able to cover every screen, i guess it would be possible to put this on every screen in the program and that would work?

Yes, it would work, but there should be another way to do this.  I will look some a bit later today if I get some time to do so.

@Bobodopalus:

Ok, the best solution is to use the Indirect screen as I have mentioned and yes, technically you would need it on every screen.  Here is the easy way to do that.  

First, create a new screen and add the indirect screen tool to it.  Specify which address in the PLC will control the direct window.  Also draw the box in the location and of the size that you want. This is Frame 13 in my project below:

indirectbg.jpg.1a5a426180e1896e199dd7ad2

In my example, I pointed it to D500.  Then go to the properties of each screen that you want to use this and do the following:

5e9768a3bf9d2_sheetapply.jpg.722ccd22158

On all of your screens, apply the sheet with the Indirect screen reference as a sheet as I have shown above.  This will allow the pop up to be controlled by putting a number in D500.  

If you put a 20 in D500, then frame 20 will show up in the window, putting 21 in there will close frame 20 and open frame 21.  Putting a zero in there will make it disappear.

That should do exactly what you want.

am i right in thinking to get this to work better i should use multiple indirect screens? one for each error pop up which will cause them to overlap, or will this cause a problem? im unable to test it at the moment due to working from home and unfortunately my Ewon connected test rig has been turned off so i can do a direct simulation

I would only use one.  That way you can control what is on top at all times.  If you need multiple windows, I might use events and have the event call up a pop-up.  The reason that I did not recommend this before is the pop-up will not close when the bit turns off.  It will have to be closed manually.  

yeah that ok, i guess i'll have to wait till i can upload to see if i can get it to work exactly how i want