mr_electrician

Why does the BCD Indirect not move data for me???

5 posts in this topic

Hi forum. 

I am expanding my programming knowledge by experimenting with different instructions that I typically have not used.  I am following the CX Programming manual for Indirect Referencing of Data Memory in BCD format.  I have written the code to a tee as shown in the manual by using the " * " to signify BCD.  When I try the code it does not transfer a BCD value (actually no value at all) into D20044?

I was able to make the Indirect work for Binary by using the " @ " symbol but the BCD is not playing well. 

Any thoughts?

FYI: I am working with a CP1H XA bench PLC

BCD Reference.jpg

BCD Reference Manual.jpg

In the symbol table select the receiving address as BCD.

11 hours ago, mr_electrician said:

BHi forum. 

I am expanding my programming knowledge by experimenting with different instructions that I typically have not used.  I am following the CX Programming manual for Indirect Referencing of Data Memory in BCD format.  I have written the code to a tee as shown in the manual by using the " * " to signify BCD.  When I try the code it does not transfer a BCD value (actually no value at all) into D20044?

I was able to make the Indirect work for Binary by using the " @ " symbol but the BCD is not playing well. 

Any thoughts?

FYI: I am working with a CP1H XA bench PLC

BCD Reference.jpg

BCD Reference Manual.jpg

The indirect addressing you are trying to use means the pointer value is in BCD.  You can only use 0-9 numbers in a BCD number.  So, BCD numbers only range from 0 - 9999.  The number that you have in your pointer (when monitored in Hex (or BCD)) is 4E4C, which is not a valid BCD number.  To clarify, 20044 when monitored in HEX / BCD (button with 16 in toolbar) is 4E4C.  When you use the BCD pointer, it limits the range that you can use from 0 - 9999.  Thus limiting the access to D0 - D9999.  There is really no reason to use it except for when converting an old program.  

Thanks @Michael Walsh for clarifying.  You mention that there is no reason why I would use this function and agree that I probably won't.  I am just wanting to go through each instruction and feature to help me become more familiar with more advanced programming styles.

27 minutes ago, mr_electrician said:

Thanks @Michael Walsh for clarifying.  You mention that there is no reason why I would use this function and agree that I probably won't.  I am just wanting to go through each instruction and feature to help me become more familiar with more advanced programming styles.

I understand, I was just making the statement that he @D function gets you access to everything in the D range and the *D does not.  Good luck!

1 person likes this