Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bobodopalus

Warehouse ethernet cable

6 posts in this topic

Hi all, after my complaing about my lack of network access in the workshop ive been tasked with fixing this so ive have some general questions about networking and concerning Ewons

so this network will be used for connecting ewons to test products as well as general computer access

the plan is to have 7 computer access points as well as 2 points to connect to product lines for testing

my intial thoughts were to run 2 cables from our network to 2 routers, 4 computer access points and one line testing connection on 1 and 3 computer access points and one line testing connection on the other

so first question is what type of ethernet cable should i use? i assume cat5 is fine, is it worth going for cat6 or is it just a waste of money? and should i be running crossover cable or straight through?

do i need any specific routers or will anything do?

will i be able to add splitters later down the line and be fine? or should i future proof a bit with more robust routers?

my years of avoiding networking at uni has come back to haunt me i know the basics but thats all really

thanks to anyone who can offer some usefull information

i mention the Ewon units because ive been told that they need to be the only one on their connection to the network, although i dont know how true this is

Edited by Bobodopalus
additional info

just to add another thought, do i need routers to do this job or will switches be ok? from what im reading i think so but im not that sure

You might want to consider ToughCable from ubiquiti networks it's rather durable and robust.

since everything is connected to same network, ethernet switches are fine. router is only needed when connecting two networks.

Cat5 and Cat6 simply tells how much speed you need. and unless your nodes are some data centers or something else needing crazy bandwith, Cat5 will do. after all this is not Netflix or Google server, just a warehouse which currently does not have any connectivity. 

btw copper cables are good for up to 100m / 300ft. if you need longer connection you can add intermediate switch so that no cable segment exceeds maximum.

ideally you could also upgrade to fiber optic backbone. then you get best of all worlds (speed, distance, interference immunity, insulation/lightning protection etc.)

thank you both i got round to installing it at the end of last week, used standard 5e and a couple of switches on either side of the workshop, its working great

:-2