Bendanator

Question on upgrading system

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have a question on a upgrade we had done at our factory. We had a older slc 500 running and pvc power transfer system and was asked to upgrade. I recommend a compact logix plc to replace but somewhere along the line I was out voted(not saying that was the wrong move at all just need more knowledge on the topic). Instead they installed a compact logix processor to the older slc still using the slc plc? If pricing was not a concern would it have been better to just remove the slc altogether? I know we use 1746-ow16 cards and wondering how long this system will be serviced by Allen Bradley or was using the slc a good move? Thanks for all the knowledge in advance!👍🏻

Whatever answer you get here will be right. Ie it's just an opinion.

Personally... I would have just installed a complete CLX box. BUT... I don't know anything about your system.

Things like - how long can you be down for cutover? How much IO is there? - play into the discussion. If downtime is a problem then wiring in a new rack full of cards may be prohibitive.

Relay output cards have a finite number of cycles, at some point individual points start to fail. Depending on the service of the card(s) (cyclic vs non-cyclic) that could be a factor in the decision to do the upgrade. If it's a low cycle installation then they are probably fine (or not :) ). One thing that nobody considers is the longevity of the components on individual cards. Electrolytic and Tantalum capacitor have a service lifespan specification (typically no more than 10,000 hours max but higher is sometimes available for a cost). 10,000 hours is not very long. If the equipment is in operation 24/7 10,000 hours is a little over a year. I think most people think of electronic devices as either disposable or eternal. I prefer think of them as repairable or about to fail :)  

I'd have swapped the entire rack and card assembly...

Remember, it is all about who's budget the monies comes out of, maintenance or capitol expenditures.  Questions regarding how long you want to extend the life cycle of the machine or process are a factor.

I've done upgrades with CLX where we would put a 1734-AENT in the spot of the SLC, simplifies conversion effort and reduces rewiring.

Given sufficient budget, I would have completely eliminated the SLC and it's IO Rack.  Obsolescence of the SLC, rack and io modules will eventually force full upgrade. 

1 person likes this