HMI.JR

MX Component Question

7 posts in this topic

I have never used MX Component but have been looking into using it. I know you can log data from the PLC to Excel but if you have an excel file (say a quality standard) and want that displayed on a TV when a certain recipe is called can MX Component pull files from excel and send them to a TV display? 

HMI JR,

Only MX Component itself is an ActiveX component so, if you just use it, you can do whatever you want by using VBA script on Excel. But you will have to implement automation yourself using the VBA.

There is a more readily tool, that also requires MX Component but all the VBA script is already made for many useful functions. This tool is the MX Sheet.

It is possible to automatize many Excel functions such as opening a file or saving it by using MX Sheet + MX Component. In your case, you will have to connect the TV as an additional display to a computer where Excel and MX tools are installed and will run the communication and Excel automation. I don't know a way to "send" the spreadsheet to a TV....

BR,

Thiago

15 hours ago, Thiago Turcato said:

HMI JR,

Only MX Component itself is an ActiveX component so, if you just use it, you can do whatever you want by using VBA script on Excel. But you will have to implement automation yourself using the VBA.

There is a more readily tool, that also requires MX Component but all the VBA script is already made for many useful functions. This tool is the MX Sheet.

It is possible to automatize many Excel functions such as opening a file or saving it by using MX Sheet + MX Component. In your case, you will have to connect the TV as an additional display to a computer where Excel and MX tools are installed and will run the communication and Excel automation. I don't know a way to "send" the spreadsheet to a TV....

BR,

Thiago

Smart TV you can use for it,  iQF have embedded webserver and FTP server. The webserver accept JavaScript

Have you thought about using a GOT display (GT25 or higher). This way you can directly put retrieve and update data directly to from a Database. 
Also you can then create GT mobile screens in HD resolutions on your GOT display which you can show with the webbrowser of your smart tv. 

It's really simple to setup

Edited by Gambit

I have thought of using a GOT display but even the largest HMI's are still small and expensive compared to a 40" plus tv. I think i may just call this up using Ignition instead of going the Mitsubishi route as we already have Ignition talking to the Mitsubishi PLC's

Well my idea was to have both and make the pages for the 40" TV in the GOT as this is fast and simple to do.
The GOT can also do the Database comms and back-p the data is thr Database is unreachable.

Yes the GT25 (and you can use the smallest one) would be more expensive but it would save you a lot of time in programming.
So unless you're making multiple systems it would worth it it my opinion.

Ignition will need a PC ( your database/excel so i guess you would be using the same PC) and be running on windows.
Still this would increase the load on the PC.

Edited by Gambit

Yes that would work well but like i said still expensive and I want to replicate the initial idea x9 so in the long run it may be easier to go with ignition and then just make the data base changes from my desk on the network instead of going to the GOT. Thanks for the input though