WKTilton

EtherCAT Communications with Yaskawa SI-ES3 for A1000VFD

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone had experience with EtherCAT Communications using Sysmac, NJ5 PLC & Yaskawa SI-ES3 EtherCAT Comms board for A1000 VFD?  I have looked at the manual, but as I am still green on Sysmac & Omron programming in general.....not sure I understand what to do to simple Drive Status monitoring, Execute RUN/STOP & Speed Select...

Thanks in advance :) 

First, go get the ESI File here:

https://www.yaskawa.com/delegate/getAttachment?documentId=ESI_SIES3_OPT_V_1_03_01&cmd=documents&documentName=ESI_SIES3_OPT_V_1_03_01.xml

Then in Sysmac Studio, go to the EtherCAT section, right click on the master and choose Display ESI Library:

5e47124939027_ESILibrary.jpg.aa9eaa437c2

Choose the Install File button at the bottom and browse to the location where you saved the ESI File. Select it and press ok.  Then choose yes when it asks if you want to install it.

Close the library window when finished.

The SI-E53 will now show up under drives in the EtherCAT Toolbox on the right side of the screen (right side by default):

drives.jpg.47b983fedec0a934de639870a6703

Drag the SI-E53 onto your EtherCAT network and assign the appropriate node number to it. Then click on the Edit PDO Map Settings Button:

5e47135538689_ES53Ethercat.jpg.935d57350

You have multiple options at this point.  You can turn on and off different input and output PDO Mappings by turning on the radio button next to the entries.  The first output entry and first input entries are on by default:

5e4714467118a_selectedPDOs.thumb.jpg.005

You can select the output PDO Mapping and then press the Add PDO Entry button (shown above by the arrow).  You can choose the entry you want to add and press ok.  

I added Speed Reference to the list:

OutPDO.jpg.5270bd735f387575f00f06615c38c

The run and other bits are contained in the control word (I would assume, you need to reference Yaskawa Manuals).  You can also repeat this process to add any Input PDO Entries that you want to add.  I added Velocity Actual (feedback) to my input:

inputPDO.jpg.a422260fc671f4f188f28492335.  

Once you have added the items that you want to add you can go to the IO Map.  The items that you added will show up in the listing:  The two items I added are highlighted below with red arrows.  Just assign variables to the IO map locations as highlighted in yellow and then you can use them in your code.  (note the R/W specification that shows if it is a Writeable (output) or Read only (input) variable):

IOMap.jpg.387e19260d9ad68aba658a8674cff0

Of course you then have to download everything into your controller.

That helps a lot, thanks.  Struggling with all the locations to you have to modify just to monitor simple functions :?

On 2/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, WKTilton said:

That helps a lot, thanks.  Struggling with all the locations to you have to modify just to monitor simple functions :?

That is a function of the ESI file provided by Yaskawa.  

They could have provided a default mapping that was more useful.  For example, here is Omron's MX2 drive's default:

MX2ESI.jpg.218e2ed0bc4b9bd5edfccce9ccc1a

It has the command word and a frequency reference as outputs and a status word and frequency monitor as inputs.  So you can just assign variables and then issue a run command with a spreed ref and monitor the speed and status.

Thanks again Michael....slowly starting to get the hang of this :-Z