Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dknieder1980

cONTROLLING A BIPOLAR STEPPER MOTOR WITH MICROLOGIX 1400

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried controlling a 4 wire bipolar stepper motor with a Micrologix 1400? If so how did you do it?

get the motor, and connect it to a motor drive that supports it. connect drive to PSU and PLC. configure driver to your needs (current limit if nothing else). on the PLC side you will need at least one PTO (Pulse Train Output) to signal number of steps. you will also need another output for direction if the plan is to run both ways. note that pulse outputs are always transistor type so PLC with relay outputs will not do unless you also add indexer. indexer is pulse generator that can replace PLC PTO. some drivers may have indexer built into. then PLC simply  interfaces regular outputs  (does not need to be transistor type) to activate one of the indexer inputs. Then indexer takes care of the rest and sends preconfigured pulse trains to your stepper driver.

I have a isd02 stepper drive and can't get it to move. i used the PTO function block and it pulses and i get the done bit but the motor hasn't moved.

1 person likes this

well...

1. how is it wired?

2. does it support bipolar motors? it the outputs are open collector, it will not work with bipolar motor.

3. does it support your motor size? too large motor will damage driver, too small motor will get damaged too

4. does it meet or exceed your motor voltage?

5. how did you configure it? how did you adjust the current limit?

6. where is the link to a datasheet? 

7. did you match polarity of driver inputs to your PLC outputs? did you match the voltage or current limit?

8. is there an enable input or control?

etc. 

i used a 5vdc power supply to the vac/dc side of the output.

still polarity is wrong. for signal to be recognized, drive input need to be pulled down to 0VDC, not lifted to some Vcc+. you need to invert the signals using "dek-tr/inv" or similar.

few optocouplers and resistors would do too like here:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Optocoupler-Isolator-Maluokasa-DST-1R4P-N/dp/B07NNP4H7S/ref=sr_1_4?crid=VVOY3FC0JY9P&keywords=optoisolator+module&qid=1580157694&sprefix=opto+iso%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-4

16 hours ago, panic mode said:

still polarity is wrong. for signal to be recognized, drive input need to be pulled down to 0VDC, not lifted to some Vcc+. you need to invert the signals using "dek-tr/inv" or similar.

few optocouplers and resistors would do too like here:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Optocoupler-Isolator-Maluokasa-DST-1R4P-N/dp/B07NNP4H7S/ref=sr_1_4?crid=VVOY3FC0JY9P&keywords=optoisolator+module&qid=1580157694&sprefix=opto+iso%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-4

Thank you for posting this link, I have been having an issue with my Model train project interface and this board will solve the problem! Thank You!

Mike

no problem, there is same board with different number of channels. make sure to get the right one unless you want to change SMD resistors yourself.

21 hours ago, panic mode said:

no problem, there is same board with different number of channels. make sure to get the right one unless you want to change SMD resistors yourself.

I saw the different versions. For what I need it is 5 volts to 24 volts. The LED indicator from the remote switch glows either green or red depending on the track switch position. (basically the wire is either +/- 5volts) and I want to pick that signal and make it an input to the PLC so it knows the switch is in position and not jammed. (if switch is not in either position, the wire will be zero volts)

Mike