Jorei

Sharing descriptions while online

4 posts in this topic

Hey all,

First time poster here,

I would like to know if anyone has figured out how to share tag descriptions while you and a co-worker are both online. I'm currently working almost exclusively along with a fellow programmer and we're required to either have only 1 person ever change tag descriptions or share the latest copy of the PLC fairly often.

We're using Studio 5000 version 30.01.00

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Have you tried export / import (Excel) of the tag database? I know it’s not ideal, especially if both of you are creating descriptions

Hi MIchael, yeah we're aware of that and we were doing it at the beginning of the project but its not currently what we're looking for, thanks for the reply though.

In version 30, you can set it to store the comments and such inside the processor (controller properties, "project" tab, "Download Project Documentation and Extended Properties"). The last time I was online at the same time as another engineer, the symbols and comments stayed synchronized between us. We were also at v30.

Here's some of the help file for that setting:

If you clear the check box so that project documentation and extended properties are not downloaded to the controller, rung comments and Sequential Function Chart and Function Block Diagram text boxes will no longer exist in the controller. Therefore, code comments will no longer be synchronized among multiple online workstations.

During online editing of rungs, other workstations will display only rung comments for rungs that exactly match the rung type for the comment in their offline database. For example, if Workstation 1 performs edits on a Normal rung, Workstation 2 will not display the rung comment while the rung is in any phase of editing or testing (for example, I/R pair). When the edits are assembled and the rung returns to a Normal rung, Workstation 2 will again display its rung comment.

Performing online edits of any type on a Sequential Function Chart routine will cause other workstations to lose their text box comments for that routine when the edits are accepted. For example, if Workstation 1 begins pending edits on a Sequential Function Chart routine and accepts those edits in any controller mode, when Workstation 2 processes those edits, all text boxes in the Sequential Function Chart routine will become blank, even if they were not modified as part of the edit. Canceling these edits will not restore the text box contents.

Performing online edits on a Function Block Diagram routine in Program mode will cause other workstations to lose their text box comments for that routine when the edits are accepted. This is the same behavior described for Sequential Function Chart routines. In Run mode, the contents are not lost when pending edits are accepted. They essentially become test edits, and will not be lost until those test edits are subsequently assembled. As in Sequential Function Chart routines, canceling these edits will not restore the text box contents.

Edited by Joe E.
Typo....