wzrdstrm

IT Data Collection

8 posts in this topic

We have some 2Q and 3Q CPU's that IT wants to collect data from, how best for IT to connect with these CPU's to read data?

TIA

IT deals with Ethernet so this is what your PLCs need to talk. But are the PLCs networked or individual? Do they have Ethernet port or at least free slot? How much data we are talking about? Usually this is just few bytes every now and then but who knows...

I agree with @panic mode I would also like to know the following .

Do they need statistical  information to store in  Database or Real time data.
What protocols are known on IT side like MQTT or OPC UA which is becoming more and more a standard.

Edited by Gambit

Two of the target CPU's have the integrated ethernet port and are already on the plant network. If an ethernet card can be inserted into an expansion rack slot, I could add one in (if the integrated is not viable).

Likely to monitor less than 16 bits and 12 Data registers. I've hear our IT guy Liang, talk about MQTT (I have no knowledge of it) and I have a casual familiarity with OPC UA (would need drivers?). I was thinking the fastest may be KEP Server, but I was on their site and it does not look to connect to the integrated ethernet on the CPU board they mention the expansion card, I have a request in with them now.

We only have 1 guy out of 4 that can manage it I think, this Liang. He was in a big tizzy yesterday after I told him to start looking into it...lol

I've read on forum that Rockwell drivers will read Mitsu?

The data they need to read (and store on the network) is per say real time, the equipment pours iron into a mold and we need to trap and store data from the process. This is new for them as they usually only read say.. a job number, which is important to know, but not terribly hard to update.

We currently have an old gateway, CC link to Ethernet on the system, but I want to get rid of it, this one is not made anymore and prone to data drops.

Edited by wzrdstrm

The kepware server support also the built in Ethernetport of the Q series CPU's.

For UPC UA we use the Softec solution.
https://www.ibhsoftec.com/epages/63444704.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63444704/Products/3200

I don not know if it ia available in the US, but there must be something similar

Edited by Gambit

sweet...gonna talk to them...

So I contacte Kepware, I actually have been using KEP for a long time, but not with Mitsu. I downloaded KEP for Mitsu and installed on my computer. Creating the connection was only challenging in the fact that you have to assign some stuff for that port. See below to setup the Mitsu side.

1) Open your project

2) double click to open PLC Parameter in your Project Tree

3) Select the tab on far right "Built-in Ethernet Port Setting.

4) Be sure you have the right IP and Route if necessary.

5) Select "Open Setting"

6) Here you can use UDP but must select MC Protocol and then a port number, which are restricted, the first available I think was port 5010.

7) KEP is great for helping, we did a shared connection to work through it.

8) KEP will likely want Wireshark, suggest downloading that and be ready.

9) Don't forget to save you r program and download your new parameters, be sure to power cycle or reset the PLC remotely for the changes to take affect.

Edited by wzrdstrm

Really I had it working at a customer pretty quickly.
As for the port Mitsubishi uses port 5000 and up for the own software.

Kepware has a good document for making the connection(see attached)

mitsubishi-ethernet-manual.pdf