dakotap

Controllogix/factory talk 15 minute logging

3 posts in this topic

Have a controllogix plc / factory talk view se . For state regulations I need to log a tag every 15 minutes. It would be nice to have it in excell.. but if I can just get the values (12 Values actually) logged every 15 minutes and saved for that current day I will be happy . Easiest way to do this before I start wasting my time ?

The easiest method is to set up a Data Log Model from the Data Log folder in FactoryTalk View Studio. This will automatically store the data at the interval you choose in the setup.

For Excel (or a CSV file), you can download FTViewFileViewer from Rockwell's website. This utility will convert the SE log file to CSV. This is a manual operation.

Please allow me to interject some thoughts / additions to IO_Racks excellent suggestion.  If this is a state requirement and you must have a sample every 15 minutes then you may want to sample every 8 or every 5 in case something hiccups.  Also I would suggest having a watchdog handshake between the FTView and PLC.  Take the Data from your Sensor , place the reading into a FIFO.  If the handshake is alive then pull the data from the fifo and pass to the FTView.  Once that data has been there for 30 seconds and the FIFO isn't empty and the handshake is staill alive send the next data.  This approach will of course mean you'll need not just the reading but a timestamp buffer as well.  But this way when Joe Operator Extraordinaire  turns off the FTView so he can nap and not be woke by it's flashing lights.  You'll still have data.