darwil93

Trouble with getting online and uploading program from Compactlogix L31

7 posts in this topic

I'm wanting to get upload the program from a CompactLogix L31 Controller.  I'm using a generic (non Allen Bradley) "C2G brand" usb -->rs232 cable coming directly off of my laptop because I don't have a serial port out.  The rs232 side of the C2G cable is a "pin out" or male end, and as you can see in the picture, the serial port at Channel 1 on the controller is also male.  I'm using a generic (non-Allen Bradley) null modem (female-->female) cable to complete the connection.  Ultimately, I'm not seeing the controller on linx.  But that's a result of me not being able to configure the driver.  When I try to auto configure this driver, Linx gives me an error saying, "Unable to verify settings due to a NAK!" btw, the rs232 cable going into channel 0 is for the HMI on the machine. A pv600

1. How do I get online and upload the program from the controller?

2. What does NAK mean?

5dc3646b19662_IMG_07471.thumb.JPG.fd1f18

First, not all USB to serial adapters work.

Second, not all USB to serial adapters support "Autoconfigure"

You might try configuring the driver DF1 in Rslinx's manually.

Default for your controller's channel 1 is..

DF1 full-Duplex

Baud rate 19.2 kbps

Parity none

Station 0

No handshaking

Error BCC

Data bits 8

stop 1

I totally agree with first and second.  Although,  I have successfully auto-configured and gotten online using this USB to serial cable on some micrologix controllers

But in those cases, the secondary cable was a Allen Bradley 1761-CBL-PM02 serial cable.  So I know the "usb to serial" cable will at least work on some micrologix products. 

So now my question is do I absolutely need to have an Allen Bradley null modem cable after the -USB to serial- cable to make the connection with this controller?

1 hour ago, darwil93 said:

So now my question is do I absolutely need to have an Allen Bradley null modem cable after the -USB to serial- cable to make the connection with this controller?

No, but double check the pin-out

2 to 3

3 to 2

5 to 5

Edited by Mickey

Was there anything connected to channel 1 ?

The port may not be configured for DF1 protocol.

Do you have the offline file to check how the port is configured?

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:49 PM, Mickey said:

First, not all USB to serial adapters work.

Second, not all USB to serial adapters support "Autoconfigure"

You might try configuring the driver DF1 in Rslinx's manually.

Default for your controller's channel 1 is..

DF1 full-Duplex

Baud rate 19.2 kbps

Parity none

Station 0

No handshaking

Error BCC

Data bits 8

stop 1

So I ended up sticking with both generic cables but manually configuring the driver with those parameters you gave, and it went to working fine. Got it to upload/get online.
Funny thing is.... I manually set all those parameters in Linx for the driver I was using before I even connected a cable. When I tried to go in through Channel 1 first, it still didn’t like it.
So I pulled the HMI out of Channel 0 and went in to through that port; just for kicks though, I hit auto configure just to see what would happen, and it did it successfully. So with the driver set I went ahead and uploaded from it from Channel 0.
Now I didn’t touch any configuration settings for either port once I was in the program. But once I plugged the HMI back up, I tried going into Channel 1 again, that time it worked. Went online with it just fine.

I'm still thinking that I was able to go into Channel 0 to initially upload, only after I manually configured the drive.  But maybe after I had that path set, that's when I was able to autoconfigure where I couldn't before. 

Thanks for everything! All your info was extremely helpful.

Good to hear you solved your problem.

I did see the other forum's responses also, great minds think alike.

1 person likes this