Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I_rock_well

Safety Door Locks

2 posts in this topic

Was just wondering what everybody is doing for door safety when combined with a safety PLC. I found a nice device from Allen Bradley (442G-MABRB-UR-E0JP4679)  that includes the lock, push buttons and everything and as the kicker has safety over Ethernet/IP but it comes with a somewhat hefty price tag. Can somebody recommend cheaper options? Does not need to be safety over ethernet, but something that is prewired internally for example would be nice, so that I do not have to buy a box for push buttons, wire it all, etc.

Wow, that is some box and pricey.

We use Euchner with E-Stop and three other buttons (Cycle Start, Cycle Stop and Reset).  It is not CIP Safety capable.  Rather we've defined which inputs and outputs are safety and standard IO.  A 19 pin cable comes back to the panel for termination.  We then developed our own AOI for control of the door switch (also for other platforms like Siemens, Omron, etc...).  What I fear is that it's about break even on the pricing after the cost of the unit, the connection cable, the Point IO (both safety and standard).  When I say it's our standard, I mean that we use it across any PLC platform.  As in integrator, we supply systems for darn near any PLC Vendor.

The documentation makes it look pretty easy to integrate, as long as it's a GuardLogix controller.  Not sure how to handle it for other platforms, unless, by some wild change the have other models with different protocols like ProfiSafe.