bagged2drag

Click PLC and Keyence SR1000 barcode reader

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone interfaced an SR1000 (or similar keyence barcode reader) with a (Automation Direct) Click PLC?  I am looking to read/write rs232 so I can get the string back from the barcode reader, instead of actually teaching it or using banking (banking is a bit cumbersome with the keyence, plus it'd take me a long time to actually get the labels I need to teach the camera all).  I had started messing around with the application, but I have no way of seeing if the camera or plc is actually reading/writing the data.    Data is all ascii.

Thanks,

NevergoldMel is probably the source for Click PLCs.  But AutomationDirect has a very good technical support line.

Taking a quick look at Click PLC, it looks like it comes standard with a RS-485 port.  Not sure if that means you need an add-on module for RS-232 or not.  In the Rockwell world there is a programmable module with two RS-232 ports.

You are right, there is an RS485 port.  The programming port can also be used as RS232.  Hopefully NevergoldMel can chime in.   I've used RS232 on the Click before, but never for ascii (you have to choose ascii or modbus  protocol with the click).  My send and receive show up as successful, but I am not seeing any data (send isn't commanding the picture).  I think the issue is more on the side of the Keyence.  

Unless the Barcode reader is self-triggering or rastoring, you will need to send (write) a command to trigger it.

Correct, pcmccartney1.  The LON ascii command is what I was sending to trigger (read).  I was getting a write success bit back on the plc, but I was not seeing the camera trigger.  LOF is the trigger stop command.  If I opened terminal on a PC, the same LON command starts triggering the camera.  LOF would then stop triggering.  That's where my confusion (lack of knowledge and experience) comes in.  Why would I get a write success on the PLC?  Does the write success ignore any sort of feedback?

Haven't used a Click, but in the Rockwell world, you need to configure the RS-232 port and also tell it the end or term chars.  Also, look for the end or term chars in my code to figure out when the buffer is full and how to parse out the results.

That could potentially be the issue.  When setting up the send command, the click is quite a bit different than the AB.  There is a checkbox for the termination command however; there is the choice of 1 or two characters, and hex only.   I will give that a try next time I get out to the equipment.   They give you an option of choosing the term from a table.   didn't notice that the first time.   I'm more used to robots where you just type [CR].

Nobody let's me play with barcode readers anymore.
The rj-12 port is rs232. 
From what I remember most barcode readers end the TX with <CR>
THere's a couple guys over on the AutomationDirect forum that have done barcode stuff.

https://forum.automationdirect.com/

I was able to get this partially resolved yesterday afternoon.  So far I am able to send commands to the SR1000, and it is responding as expected.  Now I will work to get the data back, as that doesn't seem to be working yet.  

Hi bagged2drag, Did you find the solution to connect the Click PLC with the Keyence SR 1000. I am actually looking for the same, but I don't have any idea to work on this.

Can you specify the steps please?

Thanks in advance.