KeithBurns29

MicroLogix 1100 IP Addressing

4 posts in this topic

I have a micrologix 1100 PLC as well as a weintek HMI all connected through a network switch for them to communicate between each other, however I'm having an issue where the Micrologix Controller will not retain its IP address once I set it through Allen Bradleys BootP tool. I can set it through the tool and then go into RSlogix 500 and communicate with it and all that, but once the controller is turned off the IP address goes back to its factory setting of not showing an IP at all. Any suggestions/ ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by KeithBurns29

Update::: Fixed the issue, was slightly confused on how to get the BootP disabled. I was assigning a separate IP address to the Controller for our facility which has all of its controllers on their own network. In doing so I was using an automatic IP address from my laptop to initially communicate with the PLC through the BootP program, but when I would go to disable to BootP it wouldn't communicate with the controller so I had to go through my adapter settings and change my IP to nearly the same IP I entered into the PLC (One number off at the end) and then it disabled it nearly instantly. Hopefully this helps somebody down the road that is pretty new at it like myself!

1 person likes this

download into PLC project that uses static address. turn off DHCP/BootP

30 minutes ago, KeithBurns29 said:

Update::: Fixed the issue, was slightly confused on how to get the BootP disabled. I was assigning a separate IP address to the Controller for our facility which has all of its controllers on their own network. In doing so I was using an automatic IP address from my laptop to initially communicate with the PLC through the BootP program, but when I would go to disable to BootP it wouldn't communicate with the controller so I had to go through my adapter settings and change my IP to nearly the same IP I entered into the PLC (One number off at the end) and then it disabled it nearly instantly. Hopefully this helps somebody down the road that is pretty new at it like myself!

Some of the following you already know- One thing to be careful with, randomly setting your laptop IP while on a LAN or WAN that has "other stuff" on it could result in a duplicate IP address situation. You need to know what addresses are being used on the system before you assign any IP address to anything. Software like Angry IP Scanner (or whatever your IT people allow) will tell you what is on the the range that your computer is using. However, you need to know the IP address, subnet mask, and router IP address that the PLC will "live" on. BootP needs your laptop to temporarily be on that subnet before you set the address in the PLC, then you log in an hard code the address to the PLC. If I had a dollar for every time I forget to set my laptop to the right subnet (and then called the PLC bad names) I'd have a few dollars more (insert Clint Eastwood whistle here).