Chris Elston

EDS Hardware Wizard is not installing EDS Files

5 posts in this topic

Ok, found a weird problem that I can't find any tech connect tickets or posts that solve my problem. Looking for other ideas.

What I got going on is I am trying to register an EDS file. I use the EDS Wizard and I pick a single EDS file. It goes through the wizard just fine and acts like it completed the EDS file installation, but when I go to RS Linx or look for the AOP profile, it is not listed.

I've tried to run the EDS Wizard as administrator.
I've uninstalled RSLinx 4.10 and reinstalled.
I've reboot my PC afterwards.

I still can not get the EDS profile to show up. 

It was WORKING at one time. I have a project where I setup the EDS AOP just fine, then something broke it, and now when I open an old project, it says this:

<EDS not registered>

Where at one time it was registered but now it's missing from the EDS library pick list and I can't reinstall it.

I have tried using the AOP pick list in:

RSLogix5000 version 20

Studio5000 version 32

Same...it's missing.

eds.jpg

STOP!!!

Don't use the Unistall Tool.  Use the EDS Registration and ask it to remove individual files.!!!

\A couple of quick things.

Have you tried adding the Valve_Stack thru Module Discovery (you might not have an active processor or network).

Under my RSLinx Classic Tools, I see a Uninstall EDS Hardware Installation Tool.  Never used it before, but might be worth a shot.

Edit:  I had to move to another VM today, needless to say I needed several EDS and AOPs.  In the case of the AOP for some Cognex cameras, they actually had a full AOP which included the msi for installing additional EDS files and the AOP as well as the motion Database.  It fought me a little bit, forcing me to close RSLogix, RSLinx and EDS Install Tool, before finally installing.  But after that the various Cognex cameras appeared in the Module Definitions.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Hi, I have been having the same exact issue with a few eds files this week, (Logix v30.01.00, windows 10). 

After a lot of frustration and even an entire clean install, I finally figured it out.... 

I noticed the EDS tool looked weird, the uninstall button was grayed out and it said no database files could be found (attached image).

Search the windows start menu for the "EDS Hardware Installation Tool", right click... "Run As Administrator". It worked fine after that. I did have to restart my computer because one device was giving me an error when trying to create it immidiately after installing it's EDS file. 

As typical with Rockwell software, hours of aggravation for a single 5 second fix lol. Hope this works for you and anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

error msg1.PNG

Edited by car9matt
1 person likes this

I am having the exact same problem. I have tried running EDS Hardware Installation Tool as administrator.

I have restarted my computer multiple times. Every time I try to install ANY EDS file, it looks like the process worked but then the new device does not show up in the module list in Studio.

Studio 5000 version 32.02, RSLinx Classic version 4.11

On 12/4/2019 at 11:11 AM, car9matt said:

Hi, I have been having the same exact issue with a few eds files this week, (Logix v30.01.00, windows 10). 

After a lot of frustration and even an entire clean install, I finally figured it out.... 

I noticed the EDS tool looked weird, the uninstall button was grayed out and it said no database files could be found (attached image).

Search the windows start menu for the "EDS Hardware Installation Tool", right click... "Run As Administrator". It worked fine after that. I did have to restart my computer because one device was giving me an error when trying to create it immidiately after installing it's EDS file. 

As typical with Rockwell software, hours of aggravation for a single 5 second fix lol. Hope this works for you and anyone else who stumbles upon this thread.

error msg1.PNG

you are the best.

that is it, it works now

thank you