Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nerevar

Simple/Cheap HMI/Panel suggestions

9 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm looking for suggestions for an HMI/Panel/Screen for a project at work. I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest graphical interface device that still supports Ethernet/IP. Do any of you have any suggestions?

In terms of simplicity, we're talking something that supports graphical elements (i.e not text only), and preferably has a touch screen, although that is not strictly necessary. It would be nice if there is a WYSIWYG editor, but we can probably work around other solutions as well. Monochrome devices are no problem.

I'm thankful for any ideas.

Normally, I suggest maple systems.

Now either you're misusing Ether/IP in place of EIP or CIP or you are not going to find an HMI that can process an Ether/IP assembly.

Another platform that's popular on here is the Red Lion G3 series of HMIs. I think that at least some of their HMIs are actually manufactured by Maple Systems (may be only their Kadet line...). They have drivers for a LOT of protocols from a LOT of manufacturers and have solid tech support with free programming software.

What PLCs do you need to communicate with?

It's Weintek that manufactures the maple systems HMI's 
and they don't look or programming anything like the Kadet or crismon HMI's.
Software is free and seems to have every driver Kepware does.

Or AutomationDirect C-More.

Hey guys, thanks for the input so far!

21 hours ago, NevergoldMel said:

Now either you're misusing Ether/IP in place of EIP or CIP or you are not going to find an HMI that can process an Ether/IP assembly.

I'm not sure i follow you here, is there a difference between Ethernet Industrial Protocol, and EIP? Also, I'm pretty sure that it derives from CIP in the first place, so of course I will be using it in place of CIP? What route do you suggest i should go instead?

21 hours ago, Joe E. said:

What PLCs do you need to communicate with?

We're using Omron NJ/NX-series controllers, preferably i would use the corresponding line of Omron panels for software integration in their environment, but the price tag was apparently a bit steep. 

So...

Ethernet/IP (industrial protocol)  is an implementation of CIP over Ethernet. It's managed by ODVA.

I opened up Crimson 3.0 (Red Lion) and picked an Omron driver. It has 2 available: G9SP-Series via FINS and Master via FINS. I don't know which (if either) will work with the NJ/NX. I did find a thread on another board from 2015 asking if anyone had done it. They said that Red Lion support hadn't heard of anyone doing it.

My Google search also turned up a manual for the NJ/NX:

https://assets.omron.eu/downloads/manual/en/w501_nx_nj-series_cpu_unit_software_users_manual_en.pdf

The diagram on page 10-9 seems to imply that it does talk CIP. I sometimes get suspicious when I see "Ethernet/IP" listed and wonder if they really mean "Industrial Protocol" or "Internet Protocol", but I would expect Omron's use of the term to be proper, especially since they mention CIP.

I don't have any experience with any Omron hardware, so I can't tell you how to make it work (or if it's possible).

I find that maple systems supports this unit 
https://www.maplesystems.com/1036/10360236.pdf
Kepware supports it so that'll get into just about and SCADA platform.
Not sure about VTSCADA, It supports CIP using tagnames but I don't think the tag browsing would work.
If you have one of these exposed on the internet I'll try it.

Looks like you can map tags to FINS addresses and use the FINS driver which VTscada does have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDqz-N7-uY

ANyways, that should be enough information to get you going.

For me has to be the Exor JMobile Panels,     Can do web clients,  FTP, Touch Remote Access,   Inbuilt codesys , good rand of sizes. Support most PLC's

Speak to Garry Spokes at Scattergood and Johnston (UK)    about them   - well impressed   and "Cheap"  for the functionailty.   

Jmobile

Scatts

Edited by mad4x4