IO_Rack

Motion Control Axis with Oriental Motor

4 posts in this topic

I’m controlling an Oriental Motor AZD4A-KED with an Omron NX1P2 via EtherCat. The ESI file is installed and I have it configured as an Motion Control Axis in Sysmac Studio. I’m able to utilize most all the motion control instructions except for MC_TorqueControl.

Oriental Motor specifies this mode is not available via the EtherCat “Modes of Operation”.

Mr_PLC_OM_Axis_01.PNG.2713968828be46d5b7

Instead their Torque Mode is performed via Cyclic Synchronous Velocity Mode and manipulating bits 12 & 13 of the Control Word.

Mr_PLC_OM_Axis_02.PNG.f57199d3e41fe9267e

Mr_PLC_OM_Axis_03.PNG.f6d6c5652b72267b82

This is apparently non-standard thus preventing me from using the MC_TorqueControl instruction. I’ve tried to manually map in their “Push Current”, as they call it, but does not take affect because it is not in Torque Mode. Ultimately, If I remove the Control Word from the Axis then I can manipulate it manually but I have to also remove the Motion Control Axis since the Control Word is required. Obviously at this point I’m not able to use any of the Motion Control instructions.

Question:  Is there a method of settings these bits (12 & 13) in the Control Word when it is mapped into the Motion Control Axis?

In the case of many other servos (axis) vendors, like Rockwell, you can usually manipulate the axis template.  In otherwords, add additional variables or parameters to read or write.  Alternately, is there a way to edit the ESI to add the data you want or need?  Then re-add the axis to the PLC tree and thus exposing those bits to your control?

Lastly, in the online configuration of the drive, is there some "advanced user settings" parameter that has to be turned on or enabled to suddenly gain access to those bits in the control word?

1 hour ago, pcmccartney1 said:

In the case of many other servos (axis) vendors, like Rockwell, you can usually manipulate the axis template.  In otherwords, add additional variables or parameters to read or write.

Yes, this is what I attempted with mapping the push current. I tried some other variations to no avail. The control word (the one of interest) must be mapped to the axis template which leaves me no manual control.

Alternately, is there a way to edit the ESI to add the data you want or need?

I thought about this. I guess this would be a question for the Oriental Motor support. I decided to start with the Omron side of things.

Lastly, in the online configuration of the drive, is there some "advanced user settings" parameter that has to be turned on or enabled to suddenly gain access to those bits in the control word?

This is the type of information I'm hoping to get from the Omron guys. I'm searching.

Thanks for the interest and reply

As you've already guessed, Omron is not my platform of strength.

In the Rockwell world, when you add the template, you also have to name a motor/encoder that comes from a database.  You are also able to add third party motors.  Rockwell's recommendation is to choose the Rockwell motor that most closely resembles you motor/encoder combo.  Not sure if Omron is similar.  The template also changes dramatically dependent upon the comms type (i.e. Servos, EIP, CIP) as well as the variables and parameters.

Just for giggles, can you open the ESI with a text editor?  Anything that looks like it might be configurable?

Did Oriental come with configuration tool or software for monitoring via USB or some other protocol?

With your current configuration, can you turn bit 12 and or 13 on/off and see that on the Oriental side?