Colin Carpenter

GX Works 2 Global Variable Update

4 posts in this topic

I've recently started using GX Works 2 ( the latest version V1.580E) having been a long time user of IEC Developer 7.04 and some things I like, and some things I'm not so keen on, but there is one thing that is really puzzling me.

In IEC, if I change the name of global variable and click on the "check" button, then all instances of that global variable are updated automatically in the POUs in which that variable is used. Life is sweet.

In GX Works 2, if I change the name of a global variable, then I'm told that I have to click on the "Reservation to System Variable" button and then click on the "Reflect to System Variable Database" button to allow all the POU instances of that variable to update, but when I do this, I get the message as shown in the attached png.

It's a bit of a pain having to go through and change each instance in the POUs by hand, and am wondering if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Colin

Reflection problem.png

Got a reply from the UK distributor and it turns out that everybody gets this problem when they try to do this.

Short of exporting the variables, changing them in a spreadsheet and re-importing, there doesn't seem to be a work around, though there's a video on Youtube showing that GX Works 3 can do it ....... doh!!!!

I have had to do this with my program due to all of the variable tags and most all the program was written in German. This is what I did to make life easier. The variable that you want to change the name to highlight it and the go to the Find/Replace tab on top, once opened go to Find Device, this should populate the tag ID number. Then what you can do is in the replace section, assign a new tag ID and click the All Replace, it will search the entire project and update the tag. This is by far the easiest way to update your tag information cumulatively. If you try and update tag file with a CSV you will still have to replace each tag individually, or use the replace all as mentioned previously. Hope this helps.

Find_1.PNG

Thanks for that, and it is probably the best way to do it, but it does involve a lot of typing or copying and pasting to do fifty or so global variables .......

It's really annoying as GX Works 2 should be an improvement on the "no longer in development" IEC Developer, and it seems obvious that they built in the mechanism to to do it, but a bug seems to stop it happening.

The UK distributor says that he has raised it with Mitsubishi and hopefully there might one day be a fix that allows it to work correctly.

Cheers