kuczmarm

Series 90-30 CPU311T With Proficy ME

6 posts in this topic

We have an old press using a Series 90-30 with a 311 CPU 5 Slot Rack.  I am trying to pull the program off so we can convert it to a new CompactLogix.  I am using Proficy ME v6.0.  I have the proper RS232-485 cable and a built in serial port on my XP laptop but cannot get it to connect.  I know that Logicmaster projects cannot be opened by Proficy ME and being such an old 90-30 it probably was programmed using Logicmaster.  Would being programmed by Logicmaster prevent me from even being able to communicate via serial connection?

1 person likes this

Being programmed with Logicmaster would not prevent serial communications with Proficy. Of course, the hardware configuration of the port could have been changed from the default settings of 19200 baud 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, odd parity.

Check to make sure that Proficy is set to communicate with your PLC target through the correct serial port.

Also, RSLinx has an annoying habit of not relinquishing the serial port even when you're not running RS Logix. If you use RSLinx on the same computer as Proficy, you may have to manually shut it down.

Steve is correct about the RSLinx issue.  Hence the reasoning that most of us use VMWare with separate images for each vendor software.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the response.  I don't have RSLinx installed on this machine, my Rockwell stuff is on my Windows 10 machine.  I did double check, though, my Com1 is free and verified via Device Manager that Com1 is the correct port(only COM port on the machine)

I also tried the Serial Communication Utility that came bundled with Proficy to try different Baud/Polarity/Stop Bit combinations and still no comms.  I tried both 'Series 90 SNP' and 'S90-30 SNP-X' modes.

I know my cable worked in the past, I've used it on 90-30s before.  Though, this is the oldest model I've tried communication with.

Edited by kuczmarm

Are you using a RS485/RS232 converter? They get their power from the port. Check for 5VDC between pins 5 and 7 on the 25-pin port on the power supply.

1 person likes this

I'm using the actual GE-Fanuc AS693232SNP converter cable.  5VDC checks good.