eTeRNaLSAF

Explicit MSG - CP1H - CompactLogix/Micro850

6 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,  

I'm having an issue with getting an OMRON CP1H with an EIP21 module using explicit messaging back and forth with an AB PLC.  I'm using a CompactLogix L16ER to test the setup in place of the future Micro850 that will be used.  I've used the Network configurator to set up tag sets with instance IDs for the consume/produced tags.  The data being transmitted is 240bytes in the form of an array of DINTs.  On the AB side I've setup a get and set attribute message with the setup as follows;

• Get Attribute (Read): 
    • Service Code: 10
    • Class ID: 4
    • Instance ID: 111 (Matches Network Config)
    • Attribute ID: 3 
  • Set Attribute (Write)
    • Service Code: E
    • Class ID: 4
    • Instance ID: 101 (Matches Network Config)
    • Attribute ID: 3

The MSG command executes as expected on the AB without error.  The get attribute works beautifully, but the set attribute completes with no response on the OMRON (no write).   Am I missing something here?  Thanks!

It looks like you are mixing Implicit messaging and Explicit messaging methods. You have configured tags in via Network Configurator. In this case you'll just need to configure a Generic Ethernet Module in RSLogix5000 to share the data Implicitly (cyclically).

In theory your method may work but I've never tried it. Also it's not documented in the Omron manuals. W465 Sysmac CS and CJ Series Ethernet/IP Units Operation Manual section 9.2 has a table of PLC Object Services that are supported.

In my opinion, if you wish to do this Explicitly, you do not need to configure tags in Network Configurator. In RSLogix5000, create a MSG instruction and use the 'CIP Data Table Read' and 'CIP Data Table Write' message types. The hard part here is configuring the 'Path'. It's much easier to create a Generic Ethernet Module with a working connection. In this case you can just browse to it from the MSG configuration. Otherwise here is what I've used for both a CJ2 and NJ501 with an EIP21. (CL_EIP, 2, 10.10.10.10). "CL_EIP" is the name of my AB Ethernet port.

Edited by IO_Rack
Sorry, you will need to configure tags for the CIP Data Table Read or Write.

See my edit above. I was thinking about using a different service where you would not need to configure tags. See the table in W465.

Writing to assemblies is an optional part of the EtherNet/IP specification.

Omron PLCs generally do not permit this.

This prevents one PLC from overwriting the data from another PLCs Implicit Message connection.

The document in the link below shows the steps to setup the implicit message connection.

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/files/file/1153-cj-to-compactlogix-implicit-messaging/

Hi. I am actually trying to do something really similar to what eTeRNaLSAF tried....

I'm trying to set up an Ethernet/IP communication between a Micro850 and a SMC EX600-sen3 pneumatic Module.

I can read the inputs of the module with the configuration below, but I CANT write to SET or RESET the digital outputs. There are NO errors showing communications issues in the CIP Generic Block I am using...

Configuration that is working to READ:
CIP Service Code:     14
CIP Class ID:         4
CIP Instance ID:     100
CIP Attribute:         3
CIP Member ID:         0

Configuration that is NOT working to WRITE:
CIP Service Code:     16
CIP Class ID:         4
CIP Instance ID:     150
CIP Attribute:         3
CIP Member ID:         0

I'm wondering if what PMCR is valid to this.... (Is the writing really an optional part of the Ethernet/IP specification), and that's why I cant write to the module?

CIP Configuration.PNG

PMCR's point is that the assembly write is deliberately blocked by the Omron processor.  Micro850 can't do implicit, IIRC, so your approach probably won't work.