K_Lich10hr

Copying UDTs from One Program to Another in Logix5000 v.17

7 posts in this topic

I have some logic changes to make to a program in the field. My boss gave me a program that has all the changes that need to be made, I just need to copy them over to the program that is currently in the PLC. I know how to copy the rungs over no problem, but this new program has a bunch of UDTs while the program currently in the PLC doesn't have any. 

I know I can go through one by one and copy each UDT from the updated program over to the one in the PLC but that seems unnecessarily tedious. There must be a way to copy all of them over at once, no?

When I right click on the UDT folder I see the option to import but I dont see an option to export. What am I missing?

1 person likes this

You can drag and drop and AOI from one program to another. I have a "base program" that has things like IO cards, tags, UDT's, AOI's, etc set up and I either start with that, rename it, and program it or in the case of adding an AOI or UDT I just open up a second instance and drag it from one to the other. 

I can right click the Add-On Instruction folder and see Export and Import. Not sure why you can't see that with your software unless there's a licensing issue. 

Edited by Michael Lloyd

He's talking about User-Defined folder having only an import capability.

Each individual udt has an export capability.

But I would rather drag and drop.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Ditto, drag and drop is easy. I can't believe I mixed the two up, but I did :o)

I guess it depends on what and how many UDT's we are talking about but I think I like the one at a time method better. I've never had much luck with deleting a UDT once it's in the program. And with that long sentence typed I just realized why. You can't delete it if you're using it :o)

It's udts imbedded in other udts that are difficult.  You have to drag and drop the imbeeded one first, then the other.  Hopefully, it's part of an AOI, then do the export/import thing.

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

It's udts imbedded in other udts that are difficult.  You have to drag and drop the imbeeded one first, then the other.  Hopefully, it's part of an AOI, then do the export/import thing.

OH! I wondered. I have one (pretty simple) that I duplicate because it "wouldn't work". Good info. I'll give it a try

Thanks for the info guys. One at a time seems like a huge hassle but I can understand why it is the way it is.