aphan

Controllogix to PLC5 Serial Comm

2 posts in this topic

I have a 1756-L61 and am trying to set up a MSG block in RSLogix5000 to read out of the serial port (DB9 port on CPU) to channel 0 of a PLC5/80E. I am having issues getting the Controllogix to see the PLC5 and do not know where to go from here.

Controllogix settings

Mode: System, Baud: 9600, Data Bit: 8, Parity: Even, Stop Bit: 1, No Handshake, Protocol: DF1 Master, Error Detection: BCC, Station Address: 1

PLC5 settings

Mode: System (Slave), Baud: 9600, Data Bit: 8, Parity: Even, Stop Bit: 1, No Handshake, Error Detection: BCC, Station Address: 2

I am using the PLC5 serial download cable (DB9 to 25 pin) where the DB9 is connected to the Controllogix port and the 25 pin to channel 0 of the PLC5. I don't know if this is the right cable, but the pinout is as follows, from 9 to 25: 2-2, 3-3, 5-7.

My MSG block in RSLogix500 is PLC5 Typed Read, grabbing an N7 and storing into a INT type tag. I am unsure if the path is correct and have tried numerous combinations. The controllogix is in Slot 1 (second from the left) and the PLC5 is in the first slot of its chassis. That being said my current path is set to 1, 0, 1, 0. I am also unsure of the communication method, whether to use CIP or CIP w/ source ID. 

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Since you're going between processors, try adding a null-modem adapter.

Edited to add: a null-modem adapter reverses the Tx/Rx pins (2 and 3 on the "standard" 9-pin d-shell connector). It allows two devices that are both "masters" to talk together.

Edited by Joe E.
What the heck is a null modem, anyway?
1 person likes this