Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bwhinch

Communication: PV +600 to SLC 5/03

17 posts in this topic

I'm upgrading from a Panelview 550 to a Panelview Plus 600, I already have the HMI files converted. The PLC is a SLC 5/03.

I found this post, I am wonder if there is other options besides using a 2711P-RN3. A quick Google seems like it's obsolete, but I am waiting to hear back from a sales guy.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=105902

I am wondering if I should be able to use the rs-232 serial port DF1 full duplex.

You should be able to connect using the RS-232 port. How is that port configured in the 5/03? What's the catalog number of the old PV550?

1 person likes this

The PV 550 is 2711-K5A2x. The CH 0 is DF1, 19.2 k, etc on the SLC 5/03. It seems like it should work.

I'm just running into scaling issues with the converted application it seems, trying that again. So I haven't had a chance to try the comms.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember setting up a PV+ to communicate via RS-232. All I've ever done have been DH+ or Ethernet/IP. I would think that you could set the RS-232 port on the HMI and the 5/03 to the same baud/etc. and it should work. Especially if you haven't done it before, setting up the shortcut in View Studio can be tricky.

Yea I haven't made it that far, been a busy day with other break downs.

I'm running into another issue now with the converted file, I notice the resolution is messed up for the diagnostics screen so it's not readable.

It's very small, when I was going though the migration procedure I selected to scale the graphics and the correct resolution of 320x240 for the PV+600..

Yeah, the scaling can be a pain. BTW, it's not always the fault of the conversion tool. We have in service a few 4" PV+7 HMIs that the built-in banner display that shows system faults (like communication failures) is so small it's illegible.

1 person likes this

Thanks for insight Joe, I was able to get it working this morning. You are right about the View Studio shortcut being tricky. I had some confusion for a moment because I had copied the design (local) communication to the runtime (target) and the COM Ports were different.

The old PanelView 550 has that "2" in the part number indicating that it has a DH485 network port only.   So it would have connected to the SLC-5/03's Channel 1 DH485 network port, either through an AIC isolator or just directly with the "AMP->RJ45" cable.

If you had to stick with DH485, you could do it with a 2711P-RN3, or you could use the serial port driver version and use a converter like the 1761-NET-AIC or equivalent.   It's not great;   you can't test it on a Windows 7/10 PC because that driver ONLY works on the CE boxes.

It's easier/better to switch to using DF1 Full Duplex, so that you can more easily connect a modern Windows PC to the SLC's serial port or the PanelView's serial port.   Yes, you have to unplug the PanelView to connect to the SLC-5/03, but unless you're fully geared up for DH485 with a 1747-UIC interface and some isolators, that's a reasonable compromise.

1 person likes this

That is good to know Ken, I do know we use those 1761-NET-AIC converters in several other areas of the plant.. I will eventually learn about those whenever it eventually fails.

yes 1761-NET-AIC converter does the trick. I don't know if Rockwell even offer those anymore... . Just a quick side note , Rockwell is phasing panelview plus 6 out of their product line and replacing it with a panelview 7. There is already a price hike on the panelview plus 6 screens in order to push panelview plus 7 on the market. The panelview plus 7 only communicates with a SLC over ethernet protocols. 

1 person likes this

On 7/27/2019 at 11:23 PM, Izzybe said:

yes 1761-NET-AIC converter does the trick. I don't know if Rockwell even offer those anymore... . Just a quick side note , Rockwell is phasing panelview plus 6 out of their product line and replacing it with a panelview 7. There is already a price hike on the panelview plus 6 screens in order to push panelview plus 7 on the market. The panelview plus 7 only communicates with a SLC over ethernet protocols. 

Interesting... So that means if I have another Panelview 550 die and have to upgrade to a 7 then my SLC 5/03 can't talk to it? My only option is to upgrade the PLC also?

Several places on this site for buying PV550.  Rockwell will continue selling PV+6 for a couple more years.  Then these guys will continue to find, refurb and supply PV+6 for years.  Keep in mind that you are continuing to use 30 year old technology and wonder why you are having a hard time maintaining the system and finding spare parts.

You probably need to ask yourself some questions.  How long have these machines been running?  How much longer will they need to run?  Do we need to consider a complete control system migration to latest and greatest technologies to extend the life cycle?

You can keep pinching that nickel while $100 bills are flying out the door.

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this

We have about a half dozen SLC 5/03 and 5/04 PLCs  in service right now. Unfortunately, they're pretty far down our upgrade list, behind the dozen SLC 100/150s, half-dozen PLC-2s, and dozen or so PLC-5s. We also have a handful of the SLC Fixed chassis PLCs (-L40 series).

If you're in a similar predicament as we are, consider the Red Lion G3-series of HMIs to replace the PV550s. We've done that with several SLC 5/03s with good success. They can connect via either the RS-232 or the DH485 port. They're also a viable option to add/replace an HMI on a PLC-5 system.

Edited to add:
The G3 HMIs connect to the PLC-5 via the serial port, not DH+. One possible advantage of using a PV+ of some flavor (if you can overcome the protocol limitations) is the tool that lets you import the old PanelBuilder32 project into View Studio. We've had hit-or-miss results with that, though, and you may be better off starting over from scratch.

Edited by Joe E.
Add info...
1 person likes this

I can echo Joe's comments.  The Red Lion is a wonderful protocol converter and price effective.  It's somewhat limited on the HMI side, but then again the old PV wasn't a spaceship.  You won't lose any HMI appreciable functionality moving to the G3.

1 person likes this

Thanks, that gives me information to look into for when the time comes.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being in charge of the budget. I can, and do make suggestions.

On 7/29/2019 at 0:07 PM, bwhinch said:

Interesting... So that means if I have another Panelview 550 die and have to upgrade to a 7 then my SLC 5/03 can't talk to it? My only option is to upgrade the PLC also?

no that means that you have to change your communication protocol on the SLC  with an ethernet card ( 1747-AENTR) or start looking for 3rd party converters. 

Prosoft has a couple of solutions Ethernet to DH485 gateway...

1 person likes this

On 7/29/2019 at 0:48 PM, Joe E. said:

We have about a half dozen SLC 5/03 and 5/04 PLCs  in service right now. Unfortunately, they're pretty far down our upgrade list, behind the dozen SLC 100/150s, half-dozen PLC-2s, and dozen or so PLC-5s. We also have a handful of the SLC Fixed chassis PLCs (-L40 series).

If you're in a similar predicament as we are, consider the Red Lion G3-series of HMIs to replace the PV550s. We've done that with several SLC 5/03s with good success. They can connect via either the RS-232 or the DH485 port. They're also a viable option to add/replace an HMI on a PLC-5 system.

Edited to add:
The G3 HMIs connect to the PLC-5 via the serial port, not DH+. One possible advantage of using a PV+ of some flavor (if you can overcome the protocol limitations) is the tool that lets you import the old PanelBuilder32 project into View Studio. We've had hit-or-miss results with that, though, and you may be better off starting over from scratch.

yes Red Lion HMI are awesome - only you have to rebuild your HMI runtimes... Red Lion has become a good reputable brand in that matter. I have used their HMI, temperature controllers, data converters and they always seem to surprise me - that they can handle the task at hand.