Michael Lloyd

CCW Questions

7 posts in this topic

Caveat- Long time Control Logix programmer. I have a strong bias to Logix. Every now and then I have to suffer through writing a SLC program (or worse troubleshoot a SLC program run through the converter grinder disaster that Rockwell supplies), on really bad days I need to get into a ROC or other device :) <-- somewhat tongue in cheek because it really doesn't matter, but I do like the CLX box for it's openness and simplicity 

I'm trying to give this "thing" (CCW) a chance because I like the hardware. I think it has a lot of potential, pricing is good, and it seems like the hardware is robust.

I've, so far, been able to overcome perceived roadblocks (learning new software is never fun for me, especially if the software sucks lol). One major roadblock is testing my patience this morning. I want to do something that's very simple to do in RSLogix. I want to export my tagname database, modify the comments, then import it. With Logix, unless they fixed it, for the tag to show up in the CSV file there has to be something in the comment field. I have a program template that I have pre-documented with Spare or x or whatever works to make it show up in the Excel CSV. Then I copy and paste from an IO sheet to the exported CSV and then import it. That's how it works for me in Logix.   

CCW- It seems simple enough, right click the PLC in the tree, click Export, select variables. I documented the IO in the Global Variables comment column and saved the program so I assumed that exporting variables would give me a list of those comments. Nope. Global variables don't export. At least I haven't found a way to make it work.

I really want to like this thing but the simplest things are about as pleasant to do as having a root canal or are simply non-existent. I'm hopeful that there is some "clever trick" out there that will make something simple like a tag export work

I found that blog article when I searched earlier today. I've already tried his method and it doesn't export Global Variables.

I've about come to the conclusion that I will be better served to train my guys on Control Logix and quit playing in the kiddy pool. 

Tech support replied to my email. This supports why I don't think the Micro 800 will ever be anything that is useful. Simply put, I read this as we don't make it easy to use just in case someone would actually use it:. People are too stupid to not duplicate a variable (at least I can spell variable).

You’ve been asking why you can’t export system variables. This is how the export is designed most likely in order to avoid varible duplication during import.

This is my reply to them. 

Thanks for the reply. I’m sorry but your explanation makes no sense. I can document the IO in a SLC, Compact Logix, and Control Logix PLC with import / export and Excel. Programmers are smart enough not to duplicate a variable. Even if we duplicated a variable the software warns the programmer about his or her error.

If you want people to buy this thing make the software useful. As it stands now there’s no real reason to use The Micro 800 due to it’s poor programming interface.

--------------------------------------------------------

I know I am wasting my time but it irks me to no end that they are letting a viable piece of hardware suffer from a useless interface. Maybe it sells well for tech schools but no integrator in their right mind would use this thing on purpose. 

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Michael Lloyd said:

I know I am wasting my time but it irks me to no end that they are letting a viable piece of hardware suffer from a useless interface. Maybe it sells well for tech schools but no integrator in their right mind would use this thing on purpose.

You get what you pay for. All major manufacturers have a low end series and they probably don't even manufacture them. They need to offer these to be competitive in the market. We can afford the upfront cost of the software packages and support for the Logix series so we choose not to use the Micro 800 or the C series panels.

1 person likes this

We can afford the upfront cost of the software packages and support for the Logix series so we choose not to use the Micro 800 or the C series panels.

Ditto.

I've had a Micro820 on the bench since it first came out. The programming software quickly killed any interest in using it. The plan was to replace the Micrologix that we use on very small projects (something with a small IO count. Like 2 DI, 3 DO, and an AI). There's a Compact Logix with onboard IO that fills that need but it's about 4x the cost of the Micro. 

Fast forward a number of years and I saw that they (Rockwell) make reference to Logix 5000, AOI's, etc in their literature. I thought that they had fixed their software so I started investigating it for replacing small IO count projects that the area I work in now uses a Fisher ROC for (same company but I'm now in the Four Corners area instead of the Gulf Coast of TX, for now). To do that I need to train a few techs on the use of LOGIX 5000 software and CLX PLC's. I had hoped, based on advertising, that the CCW software had been updated. It hasn't.

I've spent almost a week bugging my local reps (super helpful group of guys), wasting my time with tech support, and trying to make the 800 series fit into a place that it's simply not going to be useful for.  

I only use CCW for recording VFD settings as a master control document.

The problem with CCW is "it does not update automatically" when new versions fixes certain software bugs. Let's say you developed your program in CCW Version 2. Next controller comes in or customer decided to use another CCW version to open do some code changes. You are guessing what version it was created in and last opened with!.. CCW Motto should be - you get what you paid for - software is free but your labor cost is outrageous and frustrated hours of making certain things work is just ridiculous in lost time in repair... I stay away from those Micro800s! I rather have a micrologix over a micro800. Micrologix is stable, easy to setup, no guessing on firmware versions, it does its job and the product line has maturity. 

Edited by Izzybe
1 person likes this