vfx

SLC 5/04 RS232 Connection

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect a computer to a SLC 5/04 via the RS232 interface without success. The same module has been running and connecting/programming via the round DH+ connector just fine. So when I start it up now, I can put it into run mode, DH+ LED blinking. The problem is I can't establish the RS232 connection, first time ever I work with a PLC... I've used two different computers with RSLinx and RSLogix500 installed, one with a proper COM port, one with a USB adapter. When I define a new driver in RSLinx the Auto-Configure gives the error message in the attached picture. I'm using a standard COM port cable plus a F/F gender switcher. Both checked with a multimeter, no twisting or switching of contacts going on. One problem is I don't even know if the RS232 LED is supposed to be active as soon the cable connects the PLC and the computer, or only if there is an active data transfer. So I don't know if the actual connection is at fault, or if I'm doing something wrong in the software.

Any tip would be greatly appreciated!

Volker

linx.png

For device type select SLC.

Can you post your channel 0 configuration from your offline program?

Thanks for the quick answer! I tested with SLC, just selected the wrong one for the screenshot.

Are you referring to this? My thinking was, as long as the Auto-Configure isn't going through, the driver configuration or connection must be at fault. Is the channel setup in RSLogix relevant to this as well?

channel.png

I just wanted to make sure the Channel 0 wasn't setup for DH-485.  Your setup should work from there.  Have you gone into Device Manager and verified your USB to serial adapter is on COM 4?  Also what cable are you connecting to the SLC with?

Yes, COM4 is the correct one. Like I said in the OP, I am using a standard  COM cable. But as I just discovered here: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/6542-rs-linx-to-communicate-with-slc-504/&do=findComment&comment=26606, that is probably the problem, as the AB cable is a null-modem connection. Heating up the soldering iron as I speak (type..) to build an adapter. If that solves it, embarrassing newbie mistake :-1.

Edited by vfx
Link corrected

Yes, that should solve your problem.

Adapter works fine, thanks for indulging me :lookingaround:.

Glad you got it working and thanks for letting us know.