PeteMoss

Micro850

10 posts in this topic

So, although I've taken an extensive training course with Rockwell on ControlLogix, I've never written any code. Everything I've done is with RSLogix 500. Now I'm try to write code for a program using CCW for a Micro850. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to set up the timer

The Micro never really grew on me but I'll take a stab at it. I don't want to be the "read the manual" guy but

Page 724 has an On Delay Timer (TON). Page 721 talks about configuring the Timer instruction.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/2080-rm001_-en-e.pdf

What specifically are you having trouble with? You'll need a normally open or normally closed contact or contacts on the IN, a coil ( ) on the Q. Or you can use structured text (See the example). Max Time is basically the amount of time that the timer runs.

Edited by Michael Lloyd

I've read that manual; they discuss "if the EN parameter is used with this instruction block... What is the EN parameter? I see IN, PT,Q,and ET

In other AB platforms, "EN" means "Enabled". It means the rung conditions in front of the timer instruction are true. It's a bit in the status word of the timer that the timer instruction controls and that can be read by other parts of the code.

There's a migration manual for converting the older MicroLogix PLCs to Micro 8xx:

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/2080-rm002_-en-e.pdf

Page 166 talks about the TON instruction and shows a different view that includes the EN bit but says that it's "Not Supported" in the table, even though the screenshot shows it as a separate connection to the timer. Frankly, I'm a little confused...

I finally got the software loaded (Version 12). I see where you are coming from. This is a perfect example of why I never adopted their little brick. They make something as simple as a timer into a kludgy mess. If I had spare time I'd be doing something better than working inside of their ratty software. :-)

Supposedly they are going to make things better with Rev 14.

Just now, Michael Lloyd said:

Supposedly they are going to make things better with Rev 14.

I seem to remember hearing that about every version...

1 person likes this

After loading 12 and running it I re-read the salesman's email. He said 12 is coming out this fall. I hope that was a typo.

I just sent him this (including his part):

I would agree with you, first few versions were a little rough.  Current Version is 11 with 12 being released sometime this fall.  Some of the enhancements are they have reconfigured the programming to look and feel more like RSLogix 500.  Take a look at the second PDF I attached.  Below is the link to the CCW website take a look at the videos on this page too.”

I have Rev 12 loaded. Hopefully you mean 13.

12 is the same <insert expletive here> that they started with only they used a bigger rev number. The software kills any desire to use it. I’d rather put in a Micrologix. At least it’s useful J

My salesman never has to wonder what I think. :-) They have a $450 upgraded that might have some value but not even Fabreeze can make fresh poo smell good so we'll see. It's a shame they rolled out new hardware with such a pile of crap for software. Software sells their product. Even worse, they just keep rolling the same garbage out.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:44 PM, Michael Lloyd said:

My salesman never has to wonder what I think. :-)

We've been perfectly clear about our opinions about CCW as well, though perhaps a little less profanely ;)

We have v10 installed right now just so we can configure Powerflex 525 drives that aren't part of a Logix 5000 project.

I think they missed an opportunity by not making the software look more like Logix. 

The fact that the tutorial for creating a TON instruction is 24 pages long says a lot