B'TO

Robotic Pick and Place addressing method

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I have an oven, this oven has 3 divisions in the form of wheels which rotate. Each wheel is divided like a pie. Each piece of the pie will have an address assigned. Using a robot I will place a part in one of the spaces of the pie for a determined time, (not all spaces will be occupied at the same time) therefore I have to save that address so that when the timer of that particular part ends, the robot knows where to go and look for it again and then take it out of the oven. Each wheel will have around 6 spaces. These wheels will be moved by means of a servomotor and this will be programmed to go clockwise and counterclockwise for easy operation. Now, my question is this: What would be the most efficient method to assign and save the addresses so that when the timer count is over, the robot will know where to go and get that part from? I will be using a CompactLogix 5370 L2 Controller for this application.

I am not new to this but I have not reached this level either.

Thank you for any help you can give me. Thank you

Edited by B'TO

therefore I have to save that address so that when the timer of that particular part ends, the robot knows where to go and look for it again and then take it out of the oven

I'm assuming that you know how to create a timer tag, have used the TON instruction, and all that. If the tagname is T1 then T1.DN will tell you when it's "Done" counting so use that, a one shot, and a MOV to put a value  into an INT (or DINT if there are a lot addresses to save) that correlates to the part. Or if you want to trigger the save at the start of the operation use T1.TT in place of the Done bit. 

Page 130:  https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1756-rm003_-en-p.pdf

Edited by Michael Lloyd

5 hours ago, B'TO said:

what exactly you need help with? be specific

Sorry for the delay on answering, I was away. Thanks for the hint, I do know how to set the timer tags so I'll give it a try.

My main concern is managing many parts at the same time with different addresses. But I will be working with it again next week. 

Edited by B'TO

one common way is to use an array (or set of arrays). This allows easy manipulation and accessing elements by index, rather than name.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, B'TO said:

Hello, I have an oven, this oven has 3 divisions in the form of wheels which rotate. Each wheel is divided like a pie. Each piece of the pie will have an address assigned. Using a robot I will place a part in one of the spaces of the pie for a determined time, (not all spaces will be occupied at the same time) therefore I have to save that address so that when the timer of that particular part ends, the robot knows where to go and look for it again and then take it out of the oven. Each wheel will have around 6 spaces. These wheels will be moved by means of a servomotor and this will be programmed to go clockwise and counterclockwise for easy operation. Now, my question is this: What would be the most efficient method to assign and save the addresses so that when the timer count is over, the robot will know where to go and get that part from? I will be using a CompactLogix 5370 L2 Controller for this application.

I am not new to this but I have not reached this level either.

That sounds like a great exercise for a PLC/PAC Programming course.