Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Campbell2112

RS5000-Firmware Not correct

8 posts in this topic

I am having some trouble connecting to a 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B.

Granted I just installed RS5000 Version 20.5 I have never connected with it before.

I set up a driver in Links and connect to the plc and when I open Rs5000 and go to upload it says that firmware in the plc is not supported by the software...

Its says that the plc has a 30.11 firmware... I don't really want to have to upgrade and downgrade everytime I connect to a different Plc.. what do I need to do?

I tried going online and downloading the 30.11 firmware from the rockwell site but when i went to upgrade it in rs5000 it said it was going to upgrade the plc from 30.11 to 30.11.27.....So I didn't go through with it..

You need to install the version of RSLogix that matchs the PLC Firmware, specifically the 20 or 30 part.

By the same token, if you had an offline version of the program and attempted to open it, you would have found the same.  You didn't need to download the 30.11 firmware from the website, but it couldn't hurt.

Ask anybody here, we have every version to support our installed fleet.

BTW v20 is the last version that was supported in Win XP, everything after it is supported by Win7 or later.

1 person likes this

I have the following versions installed:

And I need all of them to support the machines in our plant. I've rarely had any issues installing additional versions. It's usual to install older versions first, but I've had to install an older version after installing newer ones and it went fine.

You don't need to download the PLC firmware, but you do need to get the right version of Studio 5000. Go to the download center:

https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/home.aspx

Select "Software Downloads by Serial Number" and enter the information for your Logix 5000 license registration. Then choose version 30.xx.xx in the drop-down and download it. The minor revisions don't have to match, just the major revision. Except for v20 and one other version (19, I think) that the minors had to match too.

Note: just in case you don't know (or anyone else doesn't know), changing the firmware of a PLC will stop the processor and completely wipe out its memory. Your program will be gone beyond recovery if you don't have an offline backup. In general, I don't make firmware changes to a running machine unless it's necessary.

So do I need to install the entire software again? Reason I'm asking is its like 2G and didn't want to take up most of my hard drive ...

I have a friend that has rs5000 and his has 2 differnet versions when it boots up and in his (about) under the firmware version is shows like 5 different firmware versions.

My rs5000 just has version 20.5 on bootup and a firmware of 20v and 32v so your saying I need to install rs5000 version 30.01.02?

I've never had to deal with anything like this I have always used omron .... and occasional rs500.

If you want to go online with a PLC you must have the version of RSLogix5000 (or Studio 5000) that matches the firmware (major rev) of the processor and it's program.

Sorry, nature of the beast, seems each version takes about 500MB.

Most of us are advocates of using VMWare with images of virtual machines for the various vendors.  We have VMs for every major vendor of PLC equipment.  It is easy to manage the VM and increase or decrease disk space.  I'm sure Joe will confirm, we all carry external hard drives with these VMs.  Ridiculously inexpensive method.  Move the VMs onto and off of your local drive and for that matter run them directly from the external drive via USB (slight performance lag, not not horrible).

9 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

If you want to go online with a PLC you must have the version of RSLogix5000 (or Studio 5000) that matches the firmware (major rev) of the processor and it's program.

Sorry, nature of the beast, seems each version takes about 500MB.

Most of us are advocates of using VMWare with images of virtual machines for the various vendors.  We have VMs for every major vendor of PLC equipment.  It is easy to manage the VM and increase or decrease disk space.  I'm sure Joe will confirm, we all carry external hard drives with these VMs.  Ridiculously inexpensive method.  Move the VMs onto and off of your local drive and for that matter run them directly from the external drive via USB (slight performance lag, not not horrible).

I concur. I have 8 active virtual machines on my PC right now with backups on an external HDD. The total of all of these VMs is about 390GB. My 4 AB VMs range in size from 25GB to 78GB each. My 4 Siemens VMs vary from 17GB up to 62GB each. On my external drive, I also keep 3 VMs with clean OSs (fully updated, but no software installed) that are 3.4GB (WinXP), 15GB (Win7 32 bit), and 27GB (Win7 64 bit).

I hear you about hard drive space. We had to bite the bullet and get good hard drives for our PCs. When my second internal hard drive failed, I replaced my main drive with a 2TB SSD, which cost about $350 a few months ago. It's down to $290 now. It was a big step up in performance and boot time. I still maintain the backups on the external drive. As end users, we use the same VMs repeatedly, so it made sense to not try to run them from external drives. An integrator who works with more platforms would need a more sophisticated system than we're using, or just move them back and forth as needed.

I appreciate all the input I am downloading the version I need now I'm glad I didn't update the plc firmware before reading a little first I have seen where others have talked about wiping their programs and that would be a long ending day for sure. Its definite that I need either a external or a new main i'm going to weigh my options on that one. I have cx-one, sysmac studio, robot studio(abb),rs500, rs5000(i'm going to try and get most of the versions after this), alot of different printer software, keyence vision systems software...ect... its getting a little tight lol

Another piece of advice: max out your PC's RAM as well, especially if you plan to use Virtual Machines. I have mine at 32GB and can run 3 VMs easily.