Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigDave75

Will IC693PWR321 change out wipe program?

5 posts in this topic

I have a machine with 3 90-30 racks. The machine stopped working this morning and I found that the power supply IC693PWR321 is bad on one of the racks. I will have a replacement PSU in the morning and will change it then. Will the program be wiped out preforming this repair?

I've replaced bad I/O modules before but that's really all the experience I have on this platform. I bought Proficy Machine Edition a couple years ago along with a cable to try and backup the programs but never completed the task. When I came to work here there was suppose to be a laptop with LM90 loaded on it. I have the laptop but no LM90 on it and the floppy diskettes are damaged. I do have a hard copy of the program with a few hand written modifications. 

Also if someone can point me to a PME tutorial or guide for the 90-30 that would be most welcome. I've searched online but haven't found what I'm looking for and the company I bought PME mostly wants to push me to upgrading the controllers

IC693CPU313k Base 5 Slot
IC693CMM301/302 Genius Communications Module
IC693MDL240 Input Module
IC693MDL645 Input Module
2 IC693MDL740 Output Module

4 people like this

The battery that maintains the RAM memory is located on the power supply. There is also a capacitor on the baseplate that will maintain RAM for a few minutes. The old manuals used to say 30 minutes max. If you can change from the old power supply to the new quickly enough you won't lose the program. That's as long as the battery in the bad power supply is still good.

I can't blame your supplier for trying to convince to upgrade. That's an old system consisting of several obsolete components.

The 90-30 manual publication number is GFK-0356. The manual for the Genius Comm module is GFK-0695.

You said you have three racks, but the CPU model you cited does not support expansion racks. Are there three CPU313s each with CMM302 or CMM301 modules? If so, you may have a crude redundant system.

2 people like this

Thanks Steve.

Each rack does have a CMM301/2 module and there is also communication between the 90-30 and an old UNICO controller for the drives. Old and obsolete is pretty much the norm for here.

1 person likes this

I just checked the manual and it says to reconnect the new power supply within 20 minutes, not 30 minutes as I said earlier.

Of course that assumes that you have been diligent about replacing the batteries over the years. If the battery on the failed power supply is discharged, you may have already lost the program in that PLC.

I wasn't aware that Unico offered a Genius interface for their drives. You learn something new every day.

1 person likes this

I changed it out the PSU in just a few minutes and started the machine up and ran it.

We have several setups with the 90-30 and Unico on Maxson RCO sheeters from the mid 90s.

I've been pretty good with battery changes in my shop. Had to bail out my colleague from across the street a month ago when he pulled a battery from a Mitsubishi FX2C-64MT PLC after noticing the battery light was on. Took him a week for some reason to get the battery and in the mean time he had the machine powered down with the battery still out. Puts the new battery in and of course the machine won't run. I ordered the software and cable after finding a hard copy of the original program and was able to write and load it and got it back up and running. But it was a huge pain in the butt. What really sucks is that I had batteries that would work with it in my supply.

3 people like this