BobLfoot

Gender Neutral Electrical Connector

12 posts in this topic

This post will probably entertain some and offend others, but here goes. 

For ages now the electrical/automation community has had a myriad of electrical connectors all based on the premise of male/female.  Whether it was pin/jack or prong/plug the underlying concept was one of male/female gender.  Since we are now entering an enlightened age of gender neutrality, the automation community needs to come up with new improved gender neutral methods of electrical connection.  While were at it, lets get rid of the judgmental terminology of positive and negative and come up with polarity neutral electricity. 

I'll end my post at this point before I go too far afield and offend someone.

1 person likes this

Perhaps we should also consider eliminating the offensive Master/Slave terminology.

1 person likes this

This is not a CNN forum.

3 people like this

On 7/11/2019 at 5:28 AM, Joe E. said:

Perhaps we should also consider eliminating the offensive Master/Slave terminology.

In all seriousness I like the terms Initiator/Responder for communications. I think the relationship is much more clear that way. Though I don't know how I could encourage others in that use.

2 people like this

Post 2020,  Masks will be mandatory on all communications or 14 day isolation of messages will be required.

Edited by Twigums

Handshaking between devices to be replaced by elbow bumps.

1 person likes this

Actually latest CDC protocols recommend replacing the "elbow bump" with the "Ten Foot Pole Handoff".

1 person likes this

About a year ago I was conducting controls training in California for a very large city government agency. During a programming demonstration I labeled a touchscreen button "Manual" and was immediately interrupted by the students. The city/company policy is that they are forbidden from using the word "manual" because it has "man" in it, and therefor may be offensive to some. In fact, I was told it's a written policy, right in the employee handbook. I didn't make any effort to hide my opinion about the idiocy here. I also haven't been invited back, lol. 

1 person likes this

so employee manual has it listed and therefore is offensive too but... it does not get banned...?  :shrug:

About a year ago I was conducting controls training in California for a very large city government agency. During a programming demonstration I labeled a touchscreen button "Manual" and was immediately interrupted by the students. The city/company policy is that they are forbidden from using the word "manual" because it has "man" in it, and therefor may be offensive to some. In fact, I was told it's a written policy, right in the employee handbook.

Would you be willing to identify the "very large city government agency"? Because without specificity it sounds suspiciously like an urban legend.