Bo_Vice

Can't browse beyond 1756-ENBT in rslinx classic gateway

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

We recently had the hard drive fail on our PLC laptop. Once out IT guy loaded all of our data on the new HDD I went to work re hosting our activations and enabling them on the new HDD. An issue has come up where on one particular device, I am unable to see the 1756-A17/B backplane beyond the 1756-ENBT module in RSLinx calssic gateway. After i configure the driver, I am able to see that there is a 1756-ENBT module, and it even has the (+) to drop down the hierarchy, but the backplane never shows. Strange thing is, I have another machine on a 1756-EN2T module and i can explore the backplane with no issues at all. We had no connectivity issues before the hard drive crashed. I have everything else communicating.

I've scoured the forums and knowledge base and have tried everything that has been mentioned to fix this:

• downloaded all the EDS I could find pertaining to said cards/modules/backplane
  • deleted the harmony files

Like I said, I can "see" there is a ENBT module, it knows what kind of module it is, there is no yellow question mark or red "x" just for whatever reason when i hit the drop down button the backplane isnt being found.

A push in the right direction would be muchly appreciated.

Well... you mentioned the EDS file but did you install it? I haven't used an ENBT in about 5 years. The EN2T is a much better card imho. But I remember this happening in reverse when we first used the EN2T. 

You're in the right place. There are a lot of very sharp and helpful people here

1 person likes this

Hi Michael,

Sorry, Yes i also used the EDS installation tool and installed them.

Depending on your version of RSLinx and the version of the module, you may be able to right-click on it and have RSLinx upload the EDS directly from the module. That way you're sure you have the right one.

I haven't seen this particular issue, but I've seen other weird RSLinx issues resolved by rebooting the PC. We use VMWare for all of our automation software, so rebooting the VM is usually enough but we occasionally have to reboot the host too.

Hi Joe,

Yes I've tried this as well. When I do this from RSLinx I get the message "A newer version of the device is already registered on your system". I have rebooted my laptop, however I have not tried to power cycle the rack, though I'm not certain this would accomplish anything. 

You might be surprised...

You could also pull the ENBT out of the chassis for 20 seconds or so and pop it back in.

thanks Joe, I will give that a try.

OK, 

So I've tried power cycling the rack and still no luck. Any other ideas would be welcomed!

I found a KnowledgeBase article (access level: Everyone) that appears to cover your symptoms:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/450777

It's saying to install the EDS files for the chassis. Since you can see the chassis through the EN2T, I'm not sure this is the issue, but it may be worth a try.

If that doesn't work, it says there's a deeper problem with your EDS files and to try the remedies listed in another KB article (access level: TechConnect):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/530781
Summary:
1) If you're using RSNetWorx v10 or 11, there's a patch:
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/578291
2) Make sure  your version of RSLinx matches your version of Studio 5000 (RSLinx v2.59.02 with v20.01 for example)
3) Make sure the "Compatibility mode" checkbox in the RSLinx Classic shortcut is un-checked
4) Go to your "Programs and Features" list in Control Panel and make sure the "Microsoft SQL server Compact 4.0 X64 ENU" is installed. If not, it tells you to run a particular msi file.

I found another article that *almost* describes your problem, but they say the "+" isn't there in the tree view. They say to remove the EDS file and re-install the correct one. This may be worth a try before digging into some of the deeper fixes listed above. Remove the existing -ENBT EDS file and upload it from the module. If you can then browse the backplane, try re-installing the newer EDS.

Here's the tech note (access level: TechConnect):
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36995/page/1

1 person likes this

Hi Joe,

A huge thank you good sir, problem has been resolved!!

So the first thing I did was try removing the EDS files, re-downloading and re-installing them as you suggested. This didn't have any effect and i was still unable to see the anything beyond the ENBT module.

I tried the next step you suggested and went to the link

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57829 

I followed all the instructions on this and it worked without a hitch, I'm now able to explore the backplane and see all modules on the rack

I was smashing my head on my keyboard for the last 2 days, I cant thank you enough Joe!

Edited by Bo_Vice

Awesome, I'm glad you're back up and running! These problems can be very random and frustrating to fix.

This is one to print and put away for future reference. 

1 person likes this