Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman47

VIew Studio Legacy Tag Database utility

4 posts in this topic

So, I downloaded the Legacy Tag Database Conversion Tool to update a PV700 HMI we have.

I was provided the MER file but could not open it in View Studio because the Tag Database was v5.10.

When I read the instructions for conversion I see that I have to run the conversion tool on a 32-bit operating system FIRST, then on a 64-bit system, to get the tags updated.

Really, Rockwell; this is the best solution you could come up with?

Since I don't have access to the Smithsonian, I wonder where I might find an operating 32-bit system, in 2019.

What are the other options?

Add the updated patch set on to your 64 bit system and it will automatically convert the tag database for you.

what I do with old mer files that need 32 bit is. I use virtualization. Install a VM player with windows xp - 32 bit (if you still have an XP OS CD laying around) and install all the old Rockwell software. It will always open old files that way. Even Rockwell makes statements about VM images (knowledge base ticket number 627269 and you can do searches on how to share your license key between your laptop and a VM) and virtualization. Even pcmccartney1 mentions is a good method in order to convert (Rockwell has several patches even for between FTVIEW 9.0 and FTVIEW 10.0). 

1 person likes this

Thank you pcmccartney1!

I was able to download the patch for 64 bit, however, I had to first download the "Patch Roll-Up".  This took over an hour!

It was time well spend as I have been able to access all our 5.10 MER files and convert the HMI's to 8.20.