Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pcmccartney1

SLC 5/03, 1747-KE & 1747-OA16

4 posts in this topic

Have a customer wanting to migrate a SLC 5/03 to latest and greatest (leaning towards an 1769-L30ER from a local module standpoint).

The first slot is occupied by a 1747-KE.  There are no references in the ladder, i.e. searching on I:1 and each of it's individual bits yields no references.  From the data table, selecting Usage reveals nothing either.  There is no corresponding O:1 in the file.

As best as I can tell, the KE is a DH485 to RS232C protocol converter.  But what would it be used for?  I see no means by which to "configure" the module.

There is an old Panelview with membrane keypad (currently no copy of the application).  Any chance the KE is being used to talk to the PV?

Secondly, the 1747-OA16 is called a Triac output.  Is the 1769-OA16 a good replacement or should I be looking at something else or adding something like diodes to the outputs to handle the leakage current?

By my recollection, the 1747-KE Series B modules could get their configuration from the Output data table instead of via the console port.    If there's no references to the I/O or M1/M0 files for that slot, then the module is a Series A or it's just not using that feature.   You'll have to connect to it over RS-232 to get the specific configuration of the serial port, but there's a 90% chance it's just set up to behave like a DF1 Full Duplex to DH485 bridge.   

The 1747-KE does not route comms through the backplane;  the RS-232 port and the DH485 port need to be physically cabled to something.    They were often used to connect dial-up modems to a DH485 network to allow remote connectivity to an SLC-5/03 based control system.   If all the devices were wired into a DH485 network, the KE would give you access to both the SLC and the PanelView without needing a local 1747-PIC connection.

The user manual for the 1746-OA16 and it says 2 mA off-state leakage, and the 1769-OA16 user manual shows the same.   I'd say those modules are equivalent.

I tend to prefer to migrate simple old PanelView Standard applications manually to Red Lion, but you can migrate to PV+ using those tools as well, once you upload the program (or use a memory card to copy it out of the terminal).

1 person likes this

Thanks Ken,

The KE is definitely a Series A.  Guess I'll have to actually goto site to try to attach to it to determine it's configuration and chase the cables down.

The Advance I/O Configuration shows the Scanned Input Words: 1 and Interrupt Service Routine (ISR) #: as 0.  Everything else is greyed out. Data table for I1.0 shows bit 11 on (guessing it's an enable or enabled bit), again selecting Usage shows neither the word nor any of the bits are referenced in ladder.  No references to M0, M1 or G file lengths.

On the old PV to PV+ or Red Lion, I can go either way.

FOr what it's worth, I'd use an L33 and avoid the conversion utility as it won't handle pid, msg, scl, scp, and pretty much any function involving math.