Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
I_rock_well

IO Link Master Recommendation

7 posts in this topic

We just started adding some IO-Link to our plant. In the first couple of implementations we had existing Point IO adapters, so a IO-Link point module was the obvious choice.

Now I want to add a few more devices (Festo Proportional Pressure Regulators). I want to use 8 each in 2 different locations, about 50 yards apart. Is adding a brand new Point IO adapter still the best choice or are there any cheaper/better IO link masters that play well with Control/Compact Logix PLCs that you guys could recommend?

We experimented briefly with a demo unit from Turck that looked like an armor block module. It connected to the PLC via Ethernet/IP and used IO-Link. We never had an application for it in the real world, though, so we never bought one.

We've standardized on ifmEfector AL1123 for Masters and AL2240 & AL2241 for Slaves.  We control SMC EX260 Valve Banks as a port off of the Master.  Reasonably priced.

We were using Balluff IO Link Master and Slaves, but became too pricey.

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 0:27 PM, pcmccartney1 said:

We've standardized on ifmEfector AL1123 for Masters and AL2240 & AL2441 for Slaves.  We control SMC EX260 Valve Banks as a port off of the Master.  Reasonably priced.

We were using Balluff IO Link Master and Slaves, but became too pricey.

Thanks for the recommendation. As a German living in the US IFM always gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Quick question: Is the max 200mA current draw per IO link port pretty much standard? My pressure regulators need 300mA and I was hoping I could eliminate additional wiring.

To answer my own questions, 200mA seems to be the IO-Link standard, so type B wiring has to be used for higher current draws. See 3 messages below. 300 mA seems to be OK with the AL1123.

Edited by I_rock_well

i saw AL1030 communicate with Zimmer gripper. power and communication was taken from one class B port of AL1030. gripper draws 5A current but not from IO pin which is used to communicate.

15 hours ago, I_rock_well said:

Thanks for the recommendation. As a German living in the US IFM always gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Quick question: Is the max 200mA current draw per IO link port pretty much standard? My pressure regulators need 300mA and I was hoping I could eliminate additional wiring.

To answer my own questions, 200mA seems to be the IO-Link standard, so type B wiring has to be used for higher current draws.

yes - the 200mA is pretty much the standard thesedays. I have seen this current limit on Balluff's IO link, Rockwells and Phoenix Contact Versions as well. I think in the future they might up the size - since some solenoid valves can have a current draw of 2A and up. Festo has come up with some nice solutions such as CPX terminal with a CPI system - it might be useful to explore those options if your current draw is set for 300mA. I never had an issue with Festo Application engineers and they might have a solution for your older system.

9 hours ago, Izzybe said:

yes - the 200mA is pretty much the standard thesedays. I have seen this current limit on Balluff's IO link, Rockwells and Phoenix Contact Versions as well. I think in the future they might up the size - since some solenoid valves can have a current draw of 2A and up. Festo has come up with some nice solutions such as CPX terminal with a CPI system - it might be useful to explore those options if your current draw is set for 300mA. I never had an issue with Festo Application engineers and they might have a solution for your older system.

I contacted IFM, their reply was "The AL1322 can provide sensor supply power (US) of up to 3.6A over all 8 ports combined, this is more than sufficient for your 300mA devices (8x of these only draw 2.4A total).  This is a self-regulating internal supply, so you simply add up the power consumption requirement for all 8 ports, and as long as this does not exceed 3.6A, then it is acceptable."

So I think I should be good.

Edited by I_rock_well