MemoTX

Ultra3000 Servo Drives only getting to Phase 2

7 posts in this topic

Hello Forum:

I am a Service Engineer with no formal training on AB PLC. I have a system that uses Ultra3000 servo drives to control motion of a Gantry platform for an X-Ray machine. The issue the system is presenting is that all 8 Servo Drives will only get to Phase 2 of its initialization process. I have downloaded the troubleshooting guide found on this forum and it says this:

" The drive is configuring nodes for communication. Wait for phase 3 or take corrective action until you reach phase 3"

My problem is that it will never reach Phase 3 on the 7 segment display, all 8 servo drives will simultaneously go back to 0, then 1, 2 and back to 0 again. 

I tried replacing some of the drives and some of the data cables going to the motors, but this seems to me that the problem is before the drives even recognize the motors because I can disconnect a motor completely and the E30 that typically comes after I disconnect the datacable will not be displayed on the drive where the motor was disconnected.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best regards

Can you give the specific model of Ultra3000?

The way I read it, if it's simply cycling 0, 1, 2 and repeating, your drive is ready.  It's probably waiting on the PLC to enable and/or turn on (MSO) the drive.  Might need to determine why the PLC is not executing the MSO instruction.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Check program motor and drive configuration against installed hardware that is what phase 2 means. Do you have any cables swapped, is your node address set correct, is your baudrate set, did you do a download without a motor database?

Node address and baudrate are physical set on the drive (there are switches)

Edited by Izzybe

Thanks for your replies.

pcmccartney1: I will check the model of the drives and revert. 

Izzybe: node address are all OK as well as baudrates.

There might be an issue with one of the feeedback cables coming back from the motors but in the past, the drive with the bad cable will send an E30 and the rest of the drives will reach all the way to phase 4. I don't know how to use the RS Link or RS500, so even though it's installed on the computer, I have been reluctant to get in there and poke around to avoid further damage to the system.

I did some research on RSL5000, then made a Who Active -- Go Online -- Download on the controller, apparently the program got erased (checked the backup memory and it has only 2.3VDC, spec is 3.6VDC.

Will order new battery. I guess not having a program will produce this behavior on the drives, anyone has seen this?

We have 11 systems that have multiple Ultra 3k drives in them, controlled over SERCOS by a ControlLogix. If the program is gone from the PLC, there would be no way for the drives to be configured, which would cause the initialization sequence to hang. The drives don't keep their configurations internally but are written to by the PLC on power-up.

Thanks Joe E and everyone else for your help.

The problem has been solved. The low battery caused the program to got erased. After reloading the program the drives and the whole system started working as designed.