AngryRobot

Accessing local program comments of a global variable.

6 posts in this topic

This seems like it should be very simple, so I'm sure I'm just overlooking something.  When I create a global variable, I can click in the corner of the comment box and open up all of the sub comments for an array or structure for quick mass editing.

While programming I added comments to array of bool coils as I went and they were saved as local comments and not the global comments.  I want to open up the local comment sub menu so that I can copy and past them all to the global comment list, but I can't figure out how to access it... or if its even possible. 

MrPLC_NJ_Comments.PNG.149e59434afe8f37a6

7 minutes ago, IO_Rack said:

MrPLC_NJ_Comments.PNG.149e59434afe8f37a6

Thanks.  I'm pretty sure use global comment is the default, so I don't know how/why I unchecked it.

To my knowledge, it is not default. I checked it before snapping this screen shot. Be aware, when I checked it, I lost my existing comments. If you have a lot of them you may want to perform an export or save a backup project.

Why not just go to View -> Variable manager.  Find the local variable in the program and then right click on it and move it to global.

2 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

Why not just go to View -> Variable manager.  Find the local variable in the program and then right click on it and move it to global.

I thought the same thing at first. His variable is global. After commenting it in one program, the comments did not show up in another program. (See image with option unchecked). Checking the option above makes the comments appear in all programs.

MrPLC_NJ_Comments2.thumb.PNG.ae5e838ea16

AngryRobot,

I believe the alternative is to edit the comments in the Global Variables section first. If they are edited from the Externals section then they only apply to that program (which you found was your problem).