Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bruno1

Industrial Control Panel Main Disconnect

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if there's a rule in NFPA79 consistent with UL508A 60.1. Basically 60.1 states that a main disconnect is not required in an industrial control panel IF the size and type of protection are and clearly stated and that a disconnect is required by the installer, noted on the electrical drawings.

Edited by Bruno1

NFPA79 chapter 5 talks about the incoming power connection and disconnecting means. Section 5.3 covers the disconnecting means. I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I don't see many exceptions to the requirement to provide a supply circuit disconnecting means within the enclosure except for panels that are smaller than 2HP and they need one close by and clearly identified. I didn't read the whole section, though.

NFPA79 : 5.1.9.6

Each machine disconnect means other than attachment plugs and receptacles shall be mounted within the control enclosure it supplies OR IMMEDIATELY ADJACENT THERTO. 

I have one machine that I do not include the disconnect means, the customer/installer must provide the disconnect. And I put this in big letters on my drawings..