Yaws

FH/FZ5 Vision System, Help with getting average values

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,
first a few PSAs: I am pretty new to vision systems and not even sure if I found the correct forum. Also English is not my first language.

I am working with an Omron FH/FZ5 Series Vision System and I have a workpiece which is quite long and gets conveyed through the vision field of my camera. On the workpiece are marker which indicate that the area in which I want to measure is starting. I have a Scene set up that looks for these markers and then switches to the measurement Scene. At some point there will be an end marker and the Scene switches back to the start marker search Scene. 
What I am looking for now is a way to get an average value of all the measurements, which were performed during the measurement Scene, displayed on my screen. So far I am able to display the average which I get from the trend monitor that I set up in the program, but that average also includes measurements from previous workpieces. Being able to delete all old values from the trend monitor whenever I switch to the measurement Scene would probably already be enough for me. Do any of you guys have suggestions on how I could get this solved?

Sorry again if this is the wrong forum.

Kind regards
Yaws 

I would set up a loop and a calculation unit to get this done.  This is the core of what I would do (showing averaging the area from a Gravity and Area tool):

FHFlowOverall.jpg.fd78a2f7427481b6568c45

The conditional branch would do this:

FHFlow.jpg.929795491efed91244e0197cda839

Note that the unit that would look for the end marker would be between 1 and 4 and is not shown.  Unit 4 would decide based upon this inspection whether to go back to 1 or continue on.  Also note that you may want to build a counter into the loop so that it does not get into an infinite looping situation.  This may require another conditional branch instruction prior to Unit 4 that says something like, if the number of samples exceeds 200 (or whatever is appropriate) don't keep looping.  

The calculation unit does this:

FHCalc.thumb.jpg.1bf01fda39a15a50fda1e76

Unit 0 initializes the total area and number of samples and is only performed the first time that the inspection is run after switching to this scene:

5cf91f7e31347_FHCalcdetails.jpg.d3383f2b

Hopefully I have conveyed enough information for you to understand what I am proposing here.  I have left out much of the code that would be required to do this, but have demonstrated the pieces that you are missing.  Let me know if this answers your question. 

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for your answer. 
This would work and answers my question, but unfortunately I did a poor job explaining my problem :oops:

I have two jobs/scenes/programs (not 100% sure what the correct name is). The first one gets started by the PLC and searches for the start marker, then it reports back to the PLC and the PLC starts the second scene that does the measuring and looks for the end marker. The second scene does one measurement, checks for the end marker and is then done and gets started by the PLC again. This repeats until an end marker is found. Unfortunately it is not my decision to switch this basic working principle, I only have the option to work with the Omron software
So I would like to save the measurements for all the repetitions of the measurement scene and then reset that value once the start maker scene gets started again. That's why I mentioned the trend monitor unit, it basically does exactly that and already gives me an average value which I can display, but I would have to reset the trend monitor when I start the next workpiece (or after I found the end marker on the current workpiece)

I hope that I did a better job explaining this time, 
your help and time is very much appreciated

Kind regards
Yaws