Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
derrickjp7

Updating L55 Controller

3 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I want to update my Controllogix L55 but have some questions before I start messing with the firmware. To start off, this is the list of all the modules in my rack.

Processor: 1756-L55/A v11.030

Expansion Memory: 1756-M13/A v(unknown, guessing the same as processor)

Ethernet/IP: 1756-ENBT/A v1.1

Sercos: 1756-M08SE v11.007

Input: 1756-IB32/A v2.007

Output: 1756-OB32/A v2.004

As you can see, I'm currently at v11 and I have the option of updating to versions 15 or 16 (these are the software versions I have). So here are my questions:

Rockwell download site shows version 16 firmware update as the only option, but the memory expansion shows all versions including 15 and 16. So, would I be correct in assuming that I need to update the L55 processor AND the M13 memory expansion to version 16?

Next question. I recall reading that the Sercos module version needs to match that of the processor. This seems to be true as both my Sercos and processor are versions 11 at the moment. Again, would I be correct in assuming that the Sercos module needs to be updated to version 16 as well?

Lastly, do I need to do anything else with any of the other modules? I would think the input and output modules are fine where they are but I was a little curious about the Ethernet/IP module. 

Thanks for all the help guys!

We have a bunch of 1756-L55M12 processors in service and have updated most of them to v16. Their original versions ranged from 10 to 15. We never had to change firmware in the memory module separately.

The Sercos module does indeed have to match. I'm looking at one of ours and the 1756-L55M12 is at v16.23 while the 1756-M08SE is at v16.1.

We've never had to flash the I/O modules. You may or may not have to flash 1756-ENBT. I would flash it anyway, just to avoid future issues, since some of the issues we've seen aren't consistent or immediate. Ours are at v6.006.

This is exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks for clearing all that up. I was especially concerned about the separate processor and memory updates, but if you've only updated the processor and memory still worked, I'm gonna go with that.