Alex R

High speed counters

4 posts in this topic

I'm new to PLCs (and I'm a simple Mechanical Engineer).  I've been on a FX/GX Works 2/ladder logic training course but, of course, it hasn't covered everything that I need for my first PLC project.  My first problem is counting high speed pulses; they come on average every 7 ms (but this will vary), and each one is about 0.5 ms long.  Reading up about this suggests that I need to use High Speed Counters C235 etc, running off X0 etc.  I need to store the value of the counter at several times (e.g. at 0.5s, 2s & 2.5s) or the time to set counter settings (e.g. at 50 pulses, 350 pulses & 400 pulses). 

Anyone got a bit of sample (ladder logic) code that they could send me to help me get going?  I've tried trawling this site and similar things have been asked previously, but I can't find a suitable piece of code to modify.

Thanks,

Alex

p.s. I haven't got any hardware yet, so not restricted by that.

p.p.s. Do these high speed counters not work in Simulation?  I've tried a few examples and can't get the Counters to count.

Edited by Alex R

1 hour ago, Alex R said:

I'm new to PLCs (and I'm a simple Mechanical Engineer).  I've been on a FX/GX Works 2/ladder logic training course but, of course, it hasn't covered everything that I need for my first PLC project.  My first problem is counting high speed pulses; they come on average every 7 ms (but this will vary), and each one is about 0.5 ms long.  Reading up about this suggests that I need to use High Speed Counters C235 etc, running off X0 etc.  I need to store the value of the counter at several times (e.g. at 0.5s, 2s & 2.5s) or the time to set counter settings (e.g. at 50 pulses, 350 pulses & 400 pulses). 

Anyone got a bit of sample (ladder logic) code that they could send me to help me get going?  I've tried trawling this site and similar things have been asked previously, but I can't find a suitable piece of code to modify.

As i understand (by Gx works 2 and FX) you looking for something like fx3 (or older) plcs. 

Yes, you need high speed counter. I cant help you with a code. But you may check this manual (4.8 item - High-Speed Counter [C] (FX3U/FX3UC PLC)):

http://dl.mitsubishielectric.com/dl/fa/document/manual/plc_fx/jy997d16601/jy997d16601q.pdf

There are some examples of code and many useful information.

1 hour ago, Alex R said:

p.p.s. Do these high speed counters not work in Simulation?  I've tried a few examples and can't get the Counters to count.

As far as i know - you cant simulate high speed counter. At least when i tried - i failed.

P.s. A little bit hard task for first plc project.

C235 is driven from pulses seen on X0.

X0 must not actually exist in the program.

|-|M8000|------------(C235 K1000)-|

M8000 is always on when the plc in in run more

Any pulses seen on X0 will count on C235.

C235 is a 32 bit counter (uses 2 consecutive D registers)

To move the value from the counter you have to use DMOV instead of MOV

2 people like this

Thanks for your replies on this.  Unfortunately the project that I was describing was put on hold soon after and I hope that it will be resurrected soon.  Fortunately I now have some hardware to play with and am getting to grips with it.