Michael Lloyd

PLC 5 to Compact Logix with a Message?

7 posts in this topic

I have 0% experience with the PLC5 (and I'm not unhappy about that at this point). I've written 100-ish programs for the Control Logix, SLC, and Micrologix platforms and I'm comfortable in those systems. 

I'd like to read values from a PLC5 using a Message in a CLX PLC. Is that doable?

Yes, it is possible. We have several places in our plant where a ControlLogix is reading information from a PLC-5 via DH+. Which PLC-5 do you have? Does it have an Ethernet port or just the RIO/DH+ and serial ports?

1 person likes this

You need to make sure that you have the correct firmware in the PLC5 otherwise the CLX cannot talk to the PLC5.

Early firmwares will not be able be connected to CLX.

Not sure which version you need.

Edited by alan_505
1 person likes this

-->Logic -->Map PLC/SLC Messages

On 4/24/2019 at 6:32 AM, Joe E. said:

Yes, it is possible. We have several places in our plant where a ControlLogix is reading information from a PLC-5 via DH+. Which PLC-5 do you have? Does it have an Ethernet port or just the RIO/DH+ and serial ports?

I was asking for a coworker. Apparently the PLC 5 and CLX machine are already exchanging messages via DH+. He needs to transfer more data. He has the perfect "go by" and has duplicated what is already there (apparently not duplicated well enough). I suspect that there's a typo and he'll eventually find it. Thanks for your help

Awesome. Thanks for following up. If he copy-pasted a second MSG instruction, make sure he assigns a new MESSAGE tag to the new instruction. That's an easy gotcha to getcha.

That's going to be it. When I talked to him yesterday he said "I may need to make a new tag". I told him that he couldn't use the same tag but he wasn't sure if he did. I'll send him an email and see if he added a new tag and changed his message to use the new tag.

I sent him a program that has 6 or 7 message routines going out to as many different CLX PLC's scattered all over south TX (from San Antonio to Laredo to Corpus Christi) but it was all CLX to CLX and I don't know if he ever looked at it.