Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
derrickjp7

Sercos not connecting to Ultra3000

3 posts in this topic

Hey all,

For a school project I've been tasked with getting a ControlLogix, Ultra3000 and some servos that were donated up and running. Yesterday, I did this. All Ethernet/IP and Sercos indicator lights were displaying properly as well as the Ultra3000 was displaying a 4 on the segment display. I was even able to send a Reset Motion Direct Command (MAFR) to the drive with no errors. I didn't have the Enable Drive bit wired up so I wasn't able to move it, but I'm pretty confident it was working. 

Yesterday, I very hastly set up all the devices as I finally got the the version of software I needed installed and was limited on time. I was actually really surprised it all worked the first time as it was the first time I had ever done it. So today I decided to start a new project in RS5000 and add the output module so I could enable the drive. Only now, the Sercos won't connect to the Ultra3000. 

The CP indicator on the Sercos module goes as far as flashing red and green, which from what I can tell means "configuring nodes for communication." My drive is set as node 3 as well as in the RS5000. The drive's segment display gets to 3, which is "Drive is configuring device specific parameters," and then goes back to zero. The sequence is actually 0-1-0-1-2-3-0. The suggested fix in the manual is check to make sure your servo matches the catalog number in RS5000, and it does. 

The worst part is I didn't even save my set up from yesterday when it worked, in my haste I must not have hit save. So I can't really cross check what I did then and what I'm doing now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, derrickjp7 said:

Hey all,

For a school project I've been tasked with getting a ControlLogix, Ultra3000 and some servos that were donated up and running. Yesterday, I did this. All Ethernet/IP and Sercos indicator lights were displaying properly as well as the Ultra3000 was displaying a 4 on the segment display. I was even able to send a Reset Motion Direct Command (MAFR) to the drive with no errors. I didn't have the Enable Drive bit wired up so I wasn't able to move it, but I'm pretty confident it was working. 

Yesterday, I very hastly set up all the devices as I finally got the the version of software I needed installed and was limited on time. I was actually really surprised it all worked the first time as it was the first time I had ever done it. So today I decided to start a new project in RS5000 and add the output module so I could enable the drive. Only now, the Sercos won't connect to the Ultra3000. 

The CP indicator on the Sercos module goes as far as flashing red and green, which from what I can tell means "configuring nodes for communication." My drive is set as node 3 as well as in the RS5000. The drive's segment display gets to 3, which is "Drive is configuring device specific parameters," and then goes back to zero. The sequence is actually 0-1-0-1-2-3-0. The suggested fix in the manual is check to make sure your servo matches the catalog number in RS5000, and it does. 

The worst part is I didn't even save my set up from yesterday when it worked, in my haste I must not have hit save. So I can't really cross check what I did then and what I'm doing now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi derrickjp7.

Firstly welcome to the forum.

SERCOS Phase 3 normally indicates a configuration error between your SERCOS Controller (Master) and the actual Slave configuration as you quite rightly stated.

I would double check the configurations between configured and actual, I have attached a SERCOS Diagnostic PDF that was written for the 6000 Series; however the SERCOS Phasing is standard across all Modules.

Check your firmware versions match- or atleast the "compatible" keyring section is chosen.

If everything looks good- make sure all the configurations are downloaded and maybe give everything a power-cycle. Then see how far your phasing gets afterwards.

Regards

Daniel

SERCOS Troubleshooting.pdf

Edited by collinsd70

Thanks for the welcome Daniel!

Today I decided to start from scratch again and make a new project and re-add all the modules. I did everything you suggested, went through each step and menu slowly and everything checked out. But, amazingly I got it working! I'm not 100% sure what I did to make it work but I THINK I know. 

Mind I'm dealing with version 11 with this Controllogix so a lot of the lay outs of menus and property windows aren't quite 100% the same. So when I follow tutorials I find online, things don't always match up as they would with a version 20+. With this version, under the axis properties, Drive and Motor are two separate tabs. I set the motor catalog number but I think my problem was I wasn't setting the drive catalog number on the Drive tab. I must have done it  quickly the first time around but didn't remember doing it the next day.  Fickle parameters! It always amazes me how you can spend an entire day and not figure something else, come in the next and boom, get it working. 

Now that I have it up and going, time to teach myself some motion programming!

Thanks for the reply and help!