bwhinch

PanelView 1000 - Can't figure out how to connect

7 posts in this topic

Panelview 1000  2711-T10G9

I'm new to the AB world, but the manual indicates I need RS-232 (DH-485) to communicate to it.

My understanding is I can't use the printer port, I need to unplug the PLC from the PanelView in order to upload the graphics. I am trying to use a normal rs-232 cable to my laptop (that still has a serial port) and that the 1747-CP3 null cable will not work.

I also have this 1747-UIC device (USB to dh485 converter) which is plugged into another 1747-CP3 null cable.

I have tried all the driver configurations I've found from trying to Google my issues, and I am getting nowhere. If anyone could point me in a direction that would be great, thanks.

Edited by bwhinch

Presumably, you are talking about PanelBuilder32.  From the manual, you should be able to do a "pass-thru" the PLC.  Look at manual 2711-um014-en-p.pdf, page 202.

You would need to plug a 2711-NC13 into your UIC, not a CP3.

38 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Presumably, you are talking about PanelBuilder32.  From the manual, you should be able to do a "pass-thru" the PLC.  Look at manual 2711-um014-en-p.pdf, page 202.

Yes, sorry I am trying to upload the graphics into PanelBuilder32. I don't recognize my setup in that manual, I have my PanelView and SLC 5/05 going to some module, which I think is an AIC to interface with DeviceNet.

Since you mention passing through the PLC, the SLC 5/05 is on the local network and I can communicate with it over ethernet by IP.. Is it possible to talk to the PanelView somehow, because I couldn't earlier and assumed I needed to go into the field. However that hasn't worked out for me yet.

2 hours ago, TWControls said:

You would need to plug a 2711-NC13 into your UIC, not a CP3.

Thanks, I need to get one of those. I was using an off brand cable that I assumed was a straight through connection, and after ohm'ing it out just now I realize it's not...

I was just able to connect with a PanelView 2711-xxxx3 and capture the program using PanelBuilder32.  The Panelview 1000 had three connectors-  a rs232 db9 connection that was only good for a printer that could not be disabled.  There were two DH-485 ports, one was connecting to the PLC and the other was an rj45 style port.  I used the 1747-UIC device (USB to dh485 converter) with the switch pointing to the rj45 side of the connector and used a normal ethernet cable.  I was able to see the panelview when I configured the driver on rslinx classic without any problems.  I was also able to see the PLC in the directory as well.  When rslinx could see the panelview then I launched panelbuider32 and was able to upload the program from the panel.  Took about 20 minutes at 9600 baud.

1 person likes this

You have to be  very careful when using the 1747-UIC and an ethernet cable, you should really use the C13 cable as some devices have 24volts on 2 of the pins but the C13 cable does not have those pins connected.

If you use an ethernet cable you could damage the 1747-UIC.

Alan