mister x

Rockwell Training (CCV207 FTV SE)

10 posts in this topic

Any opinions on this, anyone do it? 

I've been doing some online FTVSE courses with the work computer, which have actually been great to start with, and looking at the curriculum, I'm starting to wonder if there's that much more to learn on the actual Rockwell course...maybe money would be better spent elsewhere...???  Opinions...

1 person likes this

I guess it depends on how you learn. I tend to learn by looking at someone else’s work as well as using the manual and sites like this one to help me come up with ways to accomplish specific things. 

Training is usually more about how to navigate the software than how to make it work for your application. 

1 person likes this

Personal opinion, stick with online training and when you get a chance attend the RAOTM.

Your ID says Canada, there's a two day event in Anchorage, AK, May 1-2 or Kitchener, Ontario July 24-25.

You'll get the lab books, hands-on with the products and software.

1 person likes this

Christ, it's poison to get to Kitchener from Halifax, $1200 return to get to Anchorage, which is better than I thought.  Maybe I should go on a working vacation lol. 

I've been doing the Udemy course by an ex Rockwell guy, maybe that's good enough

https://www.udemy.com/ftviewse-hmi-basic-project-development-with-logix5000-plcs/

The things I see missing are:

Creating a Derived Tags File and an Event File in a FactoryTalk View SE Application - Creating Keys, Macros and Symbols in a FactoryTalk View SE Application  - Displaying a FactoryTalk View SE Application in FactoryTalk ViewPoint - Creating and Configuring a Network Distributed FactoryTalk View SE Application -  Adding VBA Display Code in a FactoryTalk View SE Application

$2800cdn for the course, money isn't tight, but that could buy a lot of used gear to play with, or ROC training, etc...

When you install the software, there are demo projects that already contain most of those examples.

1 person likes this

Took this course 7 years ago, and I still reference the course books. That has proven useful. The course itself, I would have been better off, for myself, to have just purchased the books. But I learn better by just trying and failing, and trying again, rather than listening to someone talk and run PowerPoint.

1 person likes this

Can you purchase training books, as opposed to product manuals?  I am also learning a lot by trial and error, although I'm satisfied with the uninstall/reload thing lol.

You can not purchase the course books, at least not from Rockwell. You can only get a course book by taking the course, unless you find someone trying to sell a used course book on E-Bay. The programming-, procedure-, user-, and other manuals are readily available online as free, downloadable PDFs. Some of the troubleshooting guides have a price-tag on them. As for the FactoryTalk classes themselves, you will get more than just navigating the software instruction. The four day programming classes for SE and ME have real-world programming exercises, where you write a project from the ground up, download and run with a laptop-hosted 5000 emulator in the SE class, and an actual CompactLogix controller in the ME class. It's great training.

Well, after working with this FTView for a couple weeks, I'm happy I didn't spend the money.  This software is poison. I've spent more time trying to decipher its buggy behaviour than learning how to use it.  I'm questioning whether I want to continue learning it. 

1 person likes this

Just now, mister x said:

Well, after working with this FTView for a couple weeks, I'm happy I didn't spend the money.  This software is poison. I've spent more time trying to decipher its buggy behaviour than learning how to use it.  I'm questioning whether I want to continue learning it. 

I like to think of it as the spawn of satan but poison works :)