5 posts in this topic

Hello -

I stumbled across some mention of Codesys and was curious if anyone here uses it. Pros/cons? prefer it over other programming software.

Have it downloading currently (since you can download a free variation of the application) but it looks quite interesting. Also - what PLC hardware is programmed with it? Did not see that mentioned on their website when I was browsing through.

Codesys was developed in Germany and is used for programming by some German and international vendors. The environment supports IEC 61131-3 languages and has plenty of add-ons. Interface is a bit quirky, but relatively easy to start using. Modbus programming is done in a convenient way too. 

Here is the list of the most known PLC brands supported by Codesys:

Schneider-Electric / Modicon - the environment is called Unity Pro
Beckhoff
GP Systems GmbH / Regul RX00 - the environment is called Epsilon LD, free download and use is available from the website

Bosch-Rexroth
Mitsubishi
Omron
WAGO
Hitachi

Thanks @Kirill for the information. Going to dig into this as I have some 'r&d' time coming up. What is your opinion on Codesys? I was thinking of purchasing one of the above listed PLC's to test it out with.

On 05/04/2019 at 9:08 PM, Kirill said:

Codesys was developed in Germany and is used for programming by some German and international vendors. The environment supports IEC 61131-3 languages and has plenty of add-ons. Interface is a bit quirky, but relatively easy to start using. Modbus programming is done in a convenient way too. 

Here is the list of the most known PLC brands supported by Codesys:

Schneider-Electric / Modicon - the environment is called Unity Pro
Beckhoff
GP Systems GmbH / Regul RX00 - the environment is called Epsilon LD, free download and use is available from the website

Bosch-Rexroth
Mitsubishi
Omron
WAGO
Hitachi

Hi,

To be exact, Unity Pro software (used for M340, M580 plcs) is not based on Codesys. EcoStruxure Machine Expert (formerly known as SoMachine) used for Modicon M241, M251 etc. is actualy based on Codesys.

JC

@acpi Thanks for that clarification. I guess I am just trying to always expand and delve into different PLCs/PLC programming software (outside of Allen-Bradley) and Codesys seems very intriguing. What is causing some confusion for me (and it is probably because I am very new to the PLC/programming world - so this may be a dumb, ah-ha moment) is what PLCs I can actually program with the software? With RSLogix500/5000 and CCW, Automation Suite by Automation Direct, etc. usually when beginning a project you select/build your PLC - with Codesys it is like a blank slate for whichever programming language you're using.

Maybe there is a video out there explaining this better, most of what I found was just going through actually throwing some logic together though in Codesys.