stickman47

Annoying problem in Logix5000

7 posts in this topic

I can't seem to get a straight answer regarding temporary changes in Logix5000 programs. I have had several instances where I have made program changes, ran them in simulation, decided I didn't want to keep them, did NOT save the changes, but, when I re-open the program online, a box pops up with "Applying Changes".

I have no way of knowing what this is referring to. It does not show me the "changes" that are being "applied". And it wants me to save the "changes" that don't exist before shutting down the program !. How can this be possible?

Is there a cure for this?

The applying changes notification does not refer to accepting changes on rungs that you may or may not have made.  It refers to the software updating locally to match what is on the processor you are connecting to.  I'm not sure what the dividing line is between having to upload to grab changes and it allowing it to apply changes, but it has nothing to do with rung edits you may or may not have made. 

1 person likes this

In some way, shape, or form the program in the processor does not exactly match the program that is saved on your CPU. 

Did you verify your changes while online with the processor and then exit the program without saving?

I would save the copy that has the "applied changes" under a different name.  then go online using the "applied changes" program and see if the message appears again.  If not, you can compare the original program with the "applied changes" program and find out where the difference is.

Twigums,

You say "compare". Is there a compare utility in 5000? I really miss that tool form 500.

Yep.  Its located under the Tools menu option.  Not sure if you have to choose to install it with a separate checkbox during the 5000 install.  It's just always been available on my installs.

You can get that from the Rockwell Search PCDC page.  Up to version v7.10.00.

What version of Studio 5000 are you using? I think up to version 20 or 21 you had to install the (free) Compare Tool separately. However, even when it comes (somewhat) embedded in the version you purchased, you must still click on a prompt button that pops up during installation and asks if you want to install it on your laptop, as well as ControlFlash, Task Monitor, etc.

Something to be aware of when talking about saving are the Enable Automatic Recovery and Project Backup functions, which are set to ten minutes, and three backups by default. (You can find them under Tools, Options, Application). That is not your problem here, but it should be kept in mind when making edits.

To answer your question directly, it's persnickety (as it should be) and if you make changes, it doesn't care that you put things back where you started. What it sees is that you made changes. When you're closing the project it's going to ask you whether you want to save those changes. So, when prompted to save the changes as your exiting Studio, just click no. I actually use this to my advantage when teaching someone about programming. It allows me to make whatever changes I want without keeping track of them, then clicking no on exiting with the confidence that my original project will be intact the next time I actually need it.

Hope this helps!