Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walks

Can I connect to a 1756-L81E through a EN2T with a different IP?

5 posts in this topic

Title mostly says it all. I'm using Ethernet/IP and I'm just wondering if I can connect and go online with my L81E (192.168.10.XX) if I am connected directly to an 1756-EN2T (192.168.20.XX) that is in the same backplane. My computer has to be set to the EN2T address for me to connect to it. 

I was thinking I could maybe just change the controller IP to temporarily match the Ethernet card. The EN2T runs though a Stratix8000 so changing the ip of the EN2T would require changing all the other IPs in the network.

The ethernet card is collecting data from a machine that is far away and I don't have a direct Ethernet connection to the controller so it would be a pain to run back and fourth. The EN2T module is added in my main controller program and works just fine.

The L81 does not have an IP.  The IP is in the EN2T.  Quite often we use two EN2T.  The first for "local network" and a second for connection to "plant network"

1 person likes this

The L81 definitely has an IP. The network layout layout from machine to controller is basically this,

Machine (192.168.10.1) >> Stratix8000 (192.168.10.2) >> EN2T ( 192.168.10.3) >> L81E (192.168.20.1)

If I was connected directly to the machines ethernet (192.168.10.XX), how would I go online with the L81E without changing ip addresses. Do I need to change the path in the RSlogix program?

Sorry,

I haven't used an L81E as yet, didn't realize that it had it's own IP. So if you want to connect to the PLC thru the EN2T, setup RSLinx with EN2T in asay a EIP driver.  WHen it starts looking a t it's own rack, hopefully it should see the PLC and then you make your connection path thru there.

No problem, I actually figured it out. I can just reset the network path in the RSlogix program to point to the EN2T backplane and select the controller slot. I was wondering if this was all I needed to do, but I wasn't able to try it until just now.

Thanks for the help though!