Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmbowles78

PROFINET Gateway Confusion

13 posts in this topic

I'm trying to setup some interlock signals between a CompactLogix L33ERMS and an optical gauge.  The gauge only offers PROFINET as the fieldbus for interlock signals (hard-wiring is not an option).  The PROFINET connection for interlocks in the gauge is supplied via a Beckhoff EL6631-0010 PROFINET RT device terminal (connected to a Beckhoff CX8010 bus coupler, but I assume that is not relevant).

The PROFINET connection on the CompactLogix side is supplied via ProSoft PLX31-EIP-PND "EtherNet/IP™ to PROFINET® IO Device Gateway".

My PROFINET experience is zero, and the ProSoft gateway was selected before my involvement in the project.  It seems to me that one of the PROFINET devices needs to be a controller or "master" on the network.  Right now, both the ProSoft and Beckhoff devices appear to be devices or "slaves", but the terminology is fuzzy to me (PROFINET IO vs PROFINET RT, etc.).

Should I be able to make the connection using current ProSoft Device gateway, or do I need to upgrade to a PLX82-EIP-PNC "EtherNet/IP™ to PROFINET Controller Gateway" or equivalent?  Does at least one of the devices on the network need to be controller-level?

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

I could be completely wrong here...Seems to me the Beckhoff EL6631-0010 is EtherCat on the Master side and Profinet Slave on the Device side going to the guage.

Any chance you need to bypass the Beckhoff and go straight to the ProSoft?  Or is the Beckhoff needed for something else in the system?  Anyway to split the guage to both the Beckhoff and the ProSoft

Edited by pcmccartney1

I think I wasn't clear on my initial post.  The gage has the Beckhoff EL6631-0010 built into it.  The secondary side of the Beckhoff gateway (Profinet IO device) is provided for external controllers to interface with.

Our system control panel has a Prosoft gateway connected to our PLC via Ethernet/IP.  The secondary side of this gateway is also a Profinet IO device interface.  This leaves us with a Profinet IO device to Profinet IO device connection, but no Profinet controller.

I guess my question is really whether or not the current ProSoft gateway we have will work (Profinet IO device), or do we need to switch to the ProSoft gateway with Profinet master/controller functionality on the secondary side.

Can you post a part complete part number for the gauge?

It is a Jenoptik Opticline C908.

Well not much info on their website.

What I would say is that you still have a difference in protocols.

The PLX31-EIP-PND is a "Master Controller" for EIP and talks to Profinet I/O as a "Slave Controller".

It would seem that the  EL6631-0010 is a "Master Controller" for EtherCat and talks to Profinet I/O as a "Slave Controller".

So on the surface, I would say they won't communicate.  Maybe you stumble upon a solution during seom bench testing, but...

While it's not apparent that ProfSoft has anything that will act as a gateway between EIP and EtherCat, I do see something from Beckhoff EK9500

I'm not sure if it's useful information or not, but we used a ProSoft PLX31-EIP-PND to establish communications between an AB ControlLogix PLC (1756-L71) and a Siemens S7-300 PLC (315-2PN/DP), both over Ethernet. As I recall, we added the gateway module to both PLC's hardware configurations as an I/O device. The configuration was much simpler on the AB side than Siemens, but we were able to get it working and it's been running for a couple of years with zero issues.

Joe,

Double check me, but it seems both "Controllers" are acting as "Master" and can talk to the gauge on the Profinet I/O (Slave).  I think he needs something that will allow EIP to talk to EtherCat.

jmbowles, what does the EtherCat side of the  Beckhoff EL6631-0010  talk to?

Both PLCs are "masters", each on its own protocol (one on Profinet, the other on Ethernet/IP). Based on that, I don't think what he wants to do will work.

I will say that ProSoft support was very good when I contacted them to get it set up. I would reach out to them for help. They were very knowledgeable and responded quickly.

Edited by Joe E.

5 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Joe,

Double check me, but it seems both "Controllers" are acting as "Master" and can talk to the gauge on the Profinet I/O (Slave).  I think he needs something that will allow EIP to talk to EtherCat.

jmbowles, what does the EtherCat side of the  Beckhoff EL6631-0010  talk to?

The gage system has already provided the gateway from EtherCat to PROFINET IO, so I shouldn't need to communicate with EtherCAT in any way.  I think the -PND gateway is designed to do what Joe used it for, which is communicate between an Ethernet/IP master and a PROFINET master (shown below).PLX32-EIP-PND-Schematic.gif

In my case, the gage gateway connection is a PROFINET device, not a PAC.  I think I need the -PNC gateway from Prosoft, which allows for PROFINET device connections (pictured below):

PLX82-EIP-PNC-Schematic.jpg

I'll give ProSoft a call to see if they can clarify things for me.  Thanks for the help!

Edited by jmbowles78

jmbowles,

In the original post you said it was a PLX31-EIP-PND.  This is a different device than the PLX32-EIP-PND.

I guess what is still unclear to me is that actual gauge protocol.  Yes it is Profinet I/O but is it a master or controller or slave and device?  That would make the decision between a PND or PNC type of ProSoft Gateway.

I could be wrong, but I think the PLX32xxx just gives you the ability to have the processors on different subnets instead of one subnet on the PLX31xxx. It otherwise doesn't change the function of the gateway. Based on the pictures posted, the PLX82-EIP-PNC may be what will work.

Ok, I re-read jm's reply.  The EtherCat is not being used.  So it can and needs to be bypassed.  In that case the PLX31-EIP-PND should be fine, just plug the ethernet cable from the gauge into the second port of the Prosfot.